User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-13 12:26:56
Print Post

NEw Bt Routers - Whats their release cycle

[link to this post]

Hi

Is there any chance that BT will release a router in the near future with 802.11ac?

Thanks

Lee
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-13 13:12:50
Print Post

Re: NEw Bt Routers - Whats their release cycle

[re: Leenig] [link to this post]

I don't think I would hold my breath!

802.11ac wireless isn't anywhere near being "common" yet so I cannot see any consumer grade giving these devices "free" for quite some time.

Many ISPs have only just moved to 802.11n so it will be "ages" before they move again.

And, of course, even if ISPs start to adopt 802.11ac devices they won't tend to replace them "for free".

If you want one you can always buy one!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Fri 11-Jan-13 13:41:43
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

It rumoured that Apple will have 802.11ac in their refresh MacBook etc hence the reason for looking at a new router, hopefully the like of Netgaer will bring to the market within the coming months

Lee

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 11-Jan-13 14:25:13
Print Post

Like this?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 11-Jan-13 14:43:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

A nice sounding unit - with a great price!

But why only an ADSL2+ and not VDSL2 modem? Is it that the processor would not be able to handle that as well as being a Gbit router? If so, what will the Gbit performance be like?

I certainly cannot see ISPs providing that sort of device free as part of a 2 year contract!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Jan-13 19:37:03
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
But why only an ADSL2+ and not VDSL2 modem? Is it that the processor would not be able to handle that as well as being a Gbit router? If so, what will the Gbit performance be like?

I suspect there is currently nowhere in the world where you don't get a VDSL or cable modem provided with the subscription.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Mon 18-Feb-13 19:22:42
Print Post

As the opening post is clearly a joke (802.11ac on a Home Hub laugh ), I would respond to it simply:

Their release cycle is probably a Penny Farthing

But seriously, BT have 802.11ac routers its just that they are for sale in their retail arm: Dabs.com. They will not be giving them away (ie branded Home Hub) until they cost a pittance, which will probably be 2014/15

BTBroadbandInfinity 2, sync'd at 80 down 20 up, BT Hume Hub 3, Cat6 wired home, Core 2 Duo E6850 3 GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, 8 GB, 10 HDD=3.3TB

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to