User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bapteeed
(regular) Thu 10-Jan-13 16:28:31
Print Post

IP Profile Reset ?

[link to this post]

Hi , basicly we had a line fault which caused DLM to lower the speed , previously it was 77.43 (i think) now it is 42.48 .
Openreach have just been and fixed the line issue , but when i asked about profile reset he said he cannot do it as it was reported as a line fault , if it was reported as slow speed fault he could have got it reset
What would be the best course of action to get the ip profile reset ?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Jan-13 17:42:29
Print Post

Re: IP Profile Reset ?

[re: Bapteeed] [link to this post]

It sounds as though banding has been applied, reducing the connection speed. That will be what needs removing.

IP Profile is calculated from the connection speed. It doesn't regulate it.

What a silly rule though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Jan-13 18:11:26
Print Post

if errors are low enough I think DLM will fix itself but will take time, maybe 4 weeks or more. I dont think you can get DLM reset without another engineer.

As RobertoS said, the ip profile doesnt need resetting, it updates everytime you start a new PPP session, ip profile doesnt control your sync speed, the sync speed controls the ip profile.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 10-Jan-13 18:12:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bapteeed
(regular) Thu 10-Jan-13 18:28:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok thanks for the info , i thought the DLM worked by increasing the SNR to compensate all the noise on the line

Yea Roberto the openreach guy said exactly the same

I first noticed the issue around the 19th of december and the ip profile dropped to around 53 but the line noise dissapeared after a few days so i restarted modem and router which increased ip profile to around 70 .

Then around 10 days ago its been constantly disconecting every few hours untill tuesday this week when it was every 30/40 seconds , router log shows alot of CCA failure > 1 second whatever that means ?

Do you think its worth calling them or should i wait and hope DLM fixes it ?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Jan-13 20:41:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bapteeed:
Do you think its worth calling them or should i wait and hope DLM fixes it ?
Depends whether or not you already suffer from high blood pressure.

If you do, I advise against asking them.

If you don't, I advise against asking them.

(There is no typo there).

I think BT Infinity users here are best placed to give real advice, but be prepared to be asked to change your filters etc. etc. if you call them. As for talking about banding ....

On the other hand - you could always now log a low speed fault!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 10-Jan-13 20:42:02)

Standard User Bapteeed
(regular) Thu 10-Jan-13 21:16:09
Print Post

lol good point , a bit like when i called about the voice fault

I guess i could log a low speed fault but would they even do anything ? Its more the latency rather than speed , seems to have doubled where the speed is roughly halfed
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Jan-13 22:31:02
Print Post

The latency increase will probably be down to interleaving being turned on, at quite a high level, because of the errors the fault generated. So that needs a reset as well, though it may be part of the same process - I don't know.

Standard User Bapteeed
(regular) Fri 11-Jan-13 01:32:47
Print Post

Yea a very high level it seems ,but it has dropped by a few ms in the past few hours , speed has increased slightly aswell which is strange as its not disconnected
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Jan-13 07:48:29
Print Post

Re: IP Profile Reset ? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Chrysalis

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 11-Jan-13 07:50:04)

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 11-Jan-13 10:41:13
Print Post

speed has increased slightly as well which is strange as its not disconnected

What can happen is that the modem disconnects/reconnects with the cabinet very quickly, but that the pppoe connection between router and exchange is not broken. Unless you can see the (unlocked) modem stats, you would not see the reconnection.

You may find that if you disconnect/reconnect the router, you will get a little more speed still. That will force a pppoe reconnect, which in turn will match your IP/BRAS profile speed (at the exchange) to the current cabinet/modem connection speed.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to