User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:42:59
Print Post

BT Email address and leaving

[link to this post]

Question is about what happens to peoples a.b@btinternet.com email address if they migrate away?
Is the account closed, or kept open?

Got a neighbour who is considering moving, but did not know the procedure for BT Total email.

Issue arose after popping around to fix their IE which the BT Yahoo toolbar was persistently crashing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:00:33
Print Post

Re: BT Email address and leaving

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well it certainly doesn't stay live forever. The @btintenet.com e-mail address & account I had 11 years ago (when first moving over to ADSL) is no longer live smile

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 16:48:51
Print Post

Free for 90 days then pay up: What happens to my @btinternet email account when I stop having BT Broadband?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:12:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks

Will pass it on

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:36:04
Print Post

degrades to web only, unless you pay to continue POP3 as well.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:41:31
Print Post

I have a BTInternet address from maybe 15 years back. When I got business grade ADSL it was not possible to transfer it over but required dialling in once every 90 days or so. I did that for a couple of years but then left it. Anyone who had a consumer ADSL could move their address to that account - but not business accounts. I have not dialled in for several years - and have an auto forward in place.

I have just logged in and can send emails from the account and mails are definitely forwarded.

So, there does seem to be some randomness as to whether an account remains or is deleted.

If they do move, ensure they put auto forwarding on - login to UK.mail.yahoo.com and it is under options. There are vacation response and forwarding options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User professor973
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:49:22
Print Post

I recently had to jump through hoops to get my old @btinternet mail address cancelled after leaving them about three years ago.

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:52:57
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

The fact it's still live is probably because someone forgot to press delete, wouldn't a .co.uk domain and cheap mail hosting be a better idea?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-13 20:01:00
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

It's not still live, as I said, I eventually got it cancelled. It is standard BT procedure to leave the Email address active. The biggest problem is contacting BT in any form once you take your line rental away from them, they point blank refuse to recognize you as a BT line.

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Jan-13 20:53:39
Print Post

Had a mate who left their ISP and lost their email, if it's suitable sign them up to a gmail account and just update all their regular contacts to the new email address. That's what he did and he much prefers gmail to bts email now!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to