User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 21:57:24
Print Post

What do you think?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

What do you think about the broadband speed? The line Attenuation estimates the line to be about 5.3km long but Openreach say the external line is over 6km long.
In my opinion I think it's good.

Speedtest:
1.36mb downstream
0.31mb upstream

Line stats:
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 4 days, 01:18:31
Downstream: 1.5 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.5 dB / 10.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 73.5 dB / 36.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 279457 / 580
CRC Events (Down/Up): 85 / 1928
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 2549 / 189
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 180 / 139

Cheers

Edited by cymru123 (Tue 15-Jan-13 21:58:21)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Jan-13 22:36:50
Print Post

Re: What do you think?

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

Based the attenuation I and that Openreach used to say 60dB was 5.5km, then 73dB is around the 6.5 to 7km distance of cable.

In which case the downstream is not bad at all. Upstream will run faster if you switch to ADSL running on the WBC platform. ADSL2 may give a few extra 100 Kbps, ADSL2+ itself will give no boost.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Jan-13 22:48:52
Print Post

It's a pretty good speed for that attenuation.

Don't assume Openreach have anything close to a clue as to the actual length of your line. They can often be WAY out.
My attenuation (many moons ago, when I was on ADSL1) was around 53dB and Openreach were adamant my line was 6.94km (a length which, in reality, should have an attenuation way over 70dB).
Even with a 53dB line, underground all the way back to the exchange, with ADSL1 (ADSLmax) I was lucky to get more than 2.8Mbps on a 6dB margin.
So you're doing pretty good (rubbish for the year 2013, but pretty good for such a long line).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Jan-13 22:57:30
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

BT's cabling is far from consistent quality using both ali and copper and varying thickness of each.

meaning in reality we can guess but could be way out.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 23:05:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Cheers MrSaffron,

The line has been migrated to the WBC 21cn network at the exchange last year though due to the line length was kept on adslMax.

I know it's not fast but seems good for it's line length.
Had about 2 broadband boost engineers over the course of 7months last year which seemed to add a 100kbps here and there, though does sometimes drop in speed from time to time but that is probably due to the line length.

Would you think that moving to the adsl2 (G.992.3) modulation will improve things slightly or not? When I asked BT Retail they said I could try it but said that I was unlikely to see any difference and that we agreed we didn't want to unsettle the line.

Just hoping that FTTC and/or FTTP will arrive in the exchange area at some point in the future. (Exchange area not currently on Openreach's fibre broadband rollout plan).

Cheers
Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 23:18:45
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Hi adebov and Chrysalis,

The line length and attenuation do seen pretty accurate thinking about it.
The line quality seems to be pretty good to at the moment, though most of it is overhead. All the properties in the village are fed by overhead lines.

Ye tried BT Wholesales database once and it have a very inaccurate figure :L

The broadband boost engineers tried there best to improve the speed but due to length of line they could only add 100kbps or so.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Jan-13 23:21:11
Print Post

Largely agreeing with MrSaffron, my guess would be that ADSL2 would give 0-200kbps. Probably under 100. Stability shouldn't be a problem compared to ADSL, but ADSL2+ would be extremely risky and possibly give lower connection speed than either of the other two.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to