User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Simon1987
(member) Mon 28-Jan-13 16:01:04
Print Post

Getting BT infinity tomorrow, do not want to use the homehub

[link to this post]

Hi I am getting infinity installed tomorrow, the home hub is garbage. I want to keep using my draytek 2820. I have been told this is possible by using the wan2 port on the router and the openreach modem to handle the actual connection.

does anyone know how to go about setting this up so its all ready for tomorrow and all he has to do is set up the open reach and plug it in to the wan2 port
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 16:25:58
Print Post

Re: Getting BT infinity tomorrow, do not want to use the hom

[re: Simon1987] [link to this post]

I moved to Infinity last week. I had a Billion 7800 router which supports ADSL and ethernet for the WAN.

However, rather than set it up before hand I let the engineer install the home hub and prove it was working. Left it on that for a day then configured up the billion to replace the home hub. Only reason for leaving it was to see what the home hub was like - it's ok but prefer my own router - especially as it has 4 gigabit ports whereas home hub only has 1.

Setup on the Billion was a doddle. Configured it to use the "ewan" port and set it up with the user ID bthomehub@btinternet.com (pretty sure that was what it was). No password. Router connected straight up and has been working perfectly since.

So, don't confuse the engineer and at least if the home hub is up you have something that already works if it takes you a while to configure the router.
Standard User Simon1987
(member) Mon 28-Jan-13 16:33:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I know I dislike the home hub as my sister has one on her normal bt install and its not that impressive.

Do you think its best to leave him to install as he normally does and then swap the router out when he goes then?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Simon1987
(member) Mon 28-Jan-13 16:34:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Also do i need to change the ip of my router? its 192.168.1.1 will this conflict with the open reach modem?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 16:35:17
Print Post

That is the way I did it primarily because I don't want to confuse the engineer or give any reason for them to blame something that isn't BT provided. There is no harm in them setting up on the home hub and then replacing after they have gone and to me it was the easiest way to do it.

Anything to avoid an engineer blaming my router for something not being right.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 16:36:31
Print Post

No it won't conflict because it is a different interface (the modem connects to the WAN interface and then routes to the LAN interface that has the 192.168.1.1 IP). The home hub is 192.168.1.254 by default - my own router is 192.168.0.1 - none of it matters for the routing to the modem.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-13 19:10:48
Print Post

wait till he goes, remember infinity the engineers job is to setup the isp supplied router, you complicating things if you mess with that.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Mon 28-Jan-13 19:16:07
Print Post

Set your 2820 to PPPOE and use the login credentials of bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Obtain IP automatically.

Worked for my 2920.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 20:41:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Simon1987:
Hi I am getting infinity installed tomorrow, the home hub is garbage. I want to keep using my draytek 2820. I have been told this is possible by using the wan2 port on the router and the openreach modem to handle the actual connection.

Yes, I've been using my 2820 since installation in September.

Warning - if your expected speeds are faster than 50megabit - you will find the 2820 can't keep up and will limit you to 50. I get 45megabit using the HomeHub 3 and get the same with the 2820.

As others have said let the Openreach engineer set it all up and demonstrate it to you working, then simply pull out the ethernet cable (mine is black with red plugs) from the HomeHub 3, and connect it to your WAN 2 port on the Draytek. Then you can unplug the HH3 and pack it back in its box and keep it in a cupboard safe. You might need it if you call for technical support.

On the Draytek :
WAN -> General setup
set WAN1 to disable
set WAN2 to enable, and auto negotiation

WAN -> Internet Access
WAN 2, PPPoE tab (Enable set to On)
username = bthomehub@btbroadband.com
password = <nothing leave this blank>
Fixed IP = no

Click OK to save.

That's it all done!

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Jan-13 21:24:16
Print Post

I agree with the other people. Let the engineer setup and install the equipment they bring. Run it for a day. I know you will not want to, but leave for a day to make sure all is ok. You then have a spare setup. Then on day 2, use the other setup instructions on this thread.

I can tell now, you will wait 5 mins then change to your router... good luck smile

IanD
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to