User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sharpiemwt
(newbie) Fri 01-Feb-13 16:35:02
Print Post

BT infinity / Been signed up to total broadband instead

[link to this post]

Hey all, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this whilst moving over to BT.
Ive decided to jump ship over from BE who used to handle my broadband and line rental, chap on the phone explained the migration would happen in two stages:

-Moving the line from BE back to BT
-Getting an engineer to install Infinity afterwards

However between the line migration and installing Infinity, the salesman has put me on BT total broadband whilst im without my FTTC or any working connection. It is free for the time being (6 months to be exact) and he did explain to me at the time that it would only be temporary whilst the migration took place.
Im just wondering if anyone else has been through a similar scenario with their migration process and what steps were done after the initial line transfer. Dont want to be stuck with 18 months of ADSL. smile
Standard User Thribble
(member) Fri 01-Feb-13 16:50:04
Print Post

Re: BT infinity / Been signed up to total broadband instead

[re: sharpiemwt] [link to this post]

Good question...

I'm about to jump ship BE to BT for fibre (cab not live yet but due very soon)...Wondering if this is normal as I could do it now and be already with BT

many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Feb-13 17:32:17
Print Post

[re: Thribble] [link to this post]

Not unusual, I presume you have checked the telephone numbers on the BT Wholesale checkers and it gives a positive message that FTTC is available NOW

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 01-Feb-13 17:59:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think the two-phase approach is quite common where the phone line has to move as well as the broadband.
I had always had BT phone line, and the move from BE to Infinity was a direct swapover.

I have seen cases (at least I think I have, but can't cite one) where BT persuaded people to migrate to get the great benefits of Infinity,
then explained it had to be in two stages (via BT ADSL),
then once the user was on BT ADSL said "sorry, no Infinity available after all, but you are now locked into our broadband contract".

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Fri 01-Feb-13 18:39:52
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

That's why I got BT to install it as a new line - no extra charge and instant Infinity. Once new line was in and infinity working same day and I was happy I cancelled with BE, rang up BT and got number moved over.
Standard User sharpiemwt
(newbie) Fri 01-Feb-13 19:27:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I did forget to mention that i have checked that FTTC is available, i was even quoted a speed at the time of ordering. I wish i thought of ordering a new line, but im guessing i wouldnt be able to keep my old number if i did that.
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Mon 18-Feb-13 19:15:46
Print Post

[re: sharpiemwt] [link to this post]

This also happened to my brother - He was signing up to a different provider also, whcih is even more weird (Utility Warehouse i think) - so god knows who was paying for the interim ADSL before he got FTTC, perhaps its in the Utility Warehouse small print.....

BTBroadbandInfinity 2, sync'd at 80 down 20 up, BT Hume Hub 3, Cat6 wired home, Core 2 Duo E6850 3 GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, 8 GB, 10 HDD=3.3TB

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User sharpiemwt
(newbie) Mon 18-Feb-13 22:26:20
Print Post

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

Just to update, i phoned up on the day of the line swapover rather than wait to get called about the migration to BT infinity. Explained the situation and it got sorted then and there, have got my install date for next tuesday! So far i have only paid for the Modem delivery and the first month of anytime calls. So until the engineer visit im stuck on their basic broadband. Ill update once its been switched. smile
  Print Thread

Jump to