User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trafford457
(newbie) Wed 13-Feb-13 12:53:49
Print Post

Speed difference

[link to this post]

I have a dell desktop & a laptop which are about 10 metres apart and the laptop on wireless gets about twice the speed on this site as the desktop. I am on BT infinity 2, i wonder if anyone can shed any light as why this should happen
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 13-Feb-13 13:12:48
Print Post

Re: Speed difference

[re: trafford457] [link to this post]

Are they both connected by wireless? You says the laptop is but don't state whether the desktop is.

Are they both wireless n? If the laptop is wireless n but the desktop is only wireless g (either the limit of the card or the settings) then this could be a limiting factor.

You state the distance apart of the two machines. What about the distance from the router to both devices - 10 metres is a significant amount of extra distance for wireless. Does the distance from router to laptop involve additional walls etc?

Have you tried the laptop next to the desktop and next to the router? This is the true comparison!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Feb-13 14:58:09
Print Post

What OS is the desktop machine running under?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Feb-13 21:20:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by trafford457:
I have a dell desktop & a laptop which are about 10 metres apart and the laptop on wireless gets about twice the speed on this site as the desktop.

Which speed tester, the Java one or the Flash one? The site owners are recommending the Flash one at the moment as the Java one is affected by the version of Java on your machine and your security software.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/broadband.html

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 09:31:09
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I have the used both the java & flash tests & the difference is still the same
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 09:33:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Windows 7
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 14-Feb-13 09:36:57
Print Post

It's a known problem with the Homehub.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 09:50:56
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

the desktop is connected to the hub as to wireless n all I can tell you is the desktop is Dell Wireless 1506 802 11b/g/n (2.4GHx) & the laptop has a Dell Wireless 5540 HSPA min- card Network Adapter. The distance from the router includes 2 interior walls. When I put the laptop next to the desktop & router the difference in speed was still the same as before.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 14-Feb-13 09:53:57
Print Post

Sorry, can you confirm if the desktop is wired or wireless?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User robertcrowther
(regular) Thu 14-Feb-13 10:15:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Sorry, can you confirm if the desktop is wired or wireless?

The OP has said that the desktop is: Dell Wireless 1506 802 11b/g/n
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to