User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User phookoo
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 09:33:32
Print Post

BT Infinity & Usenet/Newsgroups

[link to this post]

Hi folks

I've been a pretty happy Be subscriber for some time now (Zen prior to that, so you can see I'm used to pretty good service smile), but the speeds and pricing of BT Infinity have started becoming very attractive. Most of what I use my connection for, however, is downloading from usenet/newsgroups, in addition to lots of wifi & streaming around the house. I can see a few threads connected to p2p use but nothing specific to usenet & infinity. Are there usage restrictions worth knowing about? For instance, I currently get around 11meg connection through Be, so the projected 59 through BT is a huge improvement - but only if it actually runs at a decent proprtion of that much of the time.

Any advice would be great.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 20-Feb-13 10:16:37
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity & Usenet/Newsgroups

[re: phookoo] [link to this post]

The Totally Unlimited Infinity product is totally unlimited.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User bluenapalm
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 10:42:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Where does the fair use policy and traffic shaping at certain times fit in, if its totally unlimited?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Wed 20-Feb-13 10:54:53
Print Post

I use newsgroups with SSL encryption and it goes as fast as your connection can go, I've not seen any throttling myself
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Feb-13 11:04:41
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

Same here, on both SSL encrypted and non-SSL encrypted connections
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 20-Feb-13 11:11:32
Print Post

[re: bluenapalm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bluenapalm:
Where does the fair use policy and traffic shaping at certain times fit in, if its totally unlimited?
They don't, as it's totally unlimited.
19. BT Infinity Option 1/BT Infinity 1 has a monthly usage allowance of 40 Gigabytes. If you go over your usage allowance, we will charge you for your additional usage. You can find details of the extra usage charges in the Tariff Guide.

20. BT Infinity Options 2 and 3 and Unlimited Infinity 1 and 2 have an unlimited monthly usage allowance.
Network Management
What is BT's traffic management policy?
Information for customers on totally unlimited products

If you're on Unlimited Broadband, Unlimited Broadband extra, Unlimited BT Infinity 1, Unlimited BT Infinity 2, or for customers taking BT Total Broadband Option 3 from 1 February 2013, we won't place any speed restrictions no matter how much you upload or download, even at peak times

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User phookoo
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 11:51:12
Print Post

Thanks one and all for the responses - I tend to stick with ISP's that are good even beyond when their speeds fall behind the competition, but the potential difference here without a huge increase in cost is just too tempting. Fingers crossed I get a positive swap.
Standard User bluenapalm
(newbie) Thu 21-Feb-13 00:19:06
Print Post

" Information for customers on other products

For customers on all other broadband products: to protect the performance of the network and to ensure the best experience for all users of the service, at peak times we may manage the speed of non-time critical applications such as Peer-to-Peer (P2P)."

right below the other paragraph you referenced.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Feb-13 00:37:45
Print Post

[re: bluenapalm] [link to this post]

Obviously not relevant to the totally unlimited products being discussed herein.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Feb-13 02:03:39
Print Post

As others have said BT recently removed any traffic management on their unlimited products and rebranded them.
The packages are now called 'totally unlimited.'

This move was recent ie within the last 2 months but it's here to stay. New advertising rules mean it's hard to get away with traffic management / overprediction of speeds now.

This means that everything goes at the full speed. There is no throttling, no slowing down, no traffic management etc.
It it TOTALLY unlimited. Nothing is restricted or slowed in any shape or form. If it goes full wack on a download via Internet explorer, it'll be able to go full wack via peer to peer, torrent, usenet, iplayer etc.
No restrictions, nothing.

I can confirm that my infinity connection is full wack now too.

The world has changed a lot in the last few years.

Fibre has also meant that backhaul has been increased and now networks can cope being totally unlimited without any hiccups.
Make the move it'll be wonderful smile

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 21-Feb-13 02:04:40)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to