User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User walesrob
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 13:33:48
Print Post

BT BB Hell

[link to this post]

For the last 5 days, BT BB has had bad routing, most websites will resolve, but not all load. My exchange is 01974 and there is no end in sight to this disruption. I (and at least 10 other people in our village I have spoken to) cannot get Hotmail, Ebay, Go Daddy, O2 and even BT's own service status webpage, grrr. Every time I call BT I get an automated message stating they are aware of a major problem and aim to get it fixed in 2 hours...then 12 hours...then 21 hours again. What is going on at BT thats so bad they can't fix it within 4 days???? And why is this problem affecting such a random collection of exchanges rather than a region?

The problem seems to be with BT's Retail Servers (according to their information page) and there is no issue locally, so on that basis, if we jumped ship to plus.net, would this solve the problem? Plus.net have a good deal at the moment, but I read somewhere they are part of BT? Our exchange has BT as the sole provider, so no LLU, no 21CN, just 8mb ADSL only, we are limited in choice.
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Tue 26-Feb-13 13:36:25
Print Post

Re: BT BB Hell

[re: walesrob] [link to this post]

Is it a DNS problem maybe? You could try using google DNS servers
Standard User walesrob
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 13:44:45
Print Post

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

Would like to do that, but would you know, the BT Home Hub 3 doesn't allow changing of DNS servers. Tried changing the DNS on my W7 machine, but no luck.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Tue 26-Feb-13 13:51:35
Print Post

I once had a problem that gave a similar effect. Turned out my firewall was bocking all ICMP packets, causing MTU problems. Doubt you have the same problem if it's a standard setup.

Edited by stuorguk (Tue 26-Feb-13 13:51:59)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Feb-13 18:04:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by walesrob:
Would like to do that, but would you know, the BT Home Hub 3 doesn't allow changing of DNS servers. Tried changing the DNS on my W7 machine, but no luck.

I assume you've turned off the Home Hub left off for 10 minutes, then turned on the hub and tried again?

Have you changed your PC security software recently?

Plus.net is owned by BT but run separately. You can use any internet provider that uses BT wholesale's connection from your home to internet provider - that is very separate to the connection from the internet provider to the rest of the internet.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Edited by jchamier (Tue 26-Feb-13 18:07:35)

Standard User zhango
(learned) Tue 26-Feb-13 18:15:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

BT Service Status still says ongoing. Posted on Sat was the following and fault should have been fixed on Sunday but it's a BT problem
Dialling codes affected: 01650, 01608, 01664, 01634, 01568, 01591,01974, 01162, 01873

"We're really sorry but we've got a problem at the moment in some parts of South Wales, West Midlands & South West England areas, which means that some of our customers will be having trouble getting online and have intermittent access to Web Pages.
Our engineers are currently completing work which will continue overnight into the early hours of tomorrow morning to fix the problem.
We are sorry for any inconvenience caused"
Standard User walesrob
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 18:16:48
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

With all due respects, the HH is a single combined router/modem unit so I'm not sure what the heck your going on about. And no, its not a security issue, its purely a DNS issue at BT Retail servers, as I have already said. In fact, I cant even access the BT Service Status webpage right now, but if you look yourself, you'll see our exchange and a few others have been affected by this problem since Saturday and the issue is still ongoing. Seems like theres a serious problem.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Feb-13 18:25:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by walesrob:
its purely a DNS issue at BT Retail servers, as I have already said
How can it be a DNS issue (which you never previously mentioned but someone else suggested) if it is exchange dependent? Anyway you changed DNS on your PC and it had no effect, so it can't be that.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User walesrob
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 18:31:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In my opening post I said "For the last 5 days, BT BB has had bad routing, most websites will resolve, but not all load".

If its not a DNS issue, what is it then? I'd be interested to know.

Edited by walesrob (Tue 26-Feb-13 18:39:03)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Feb-13 18:47:46
Print Post

No need to be rude to everyone who tries to help you. You're the 1 that asked for help so don't chuck it back in our faces.

You're also the only who one has read what BT have to say on the subject; it's probably what BT say it is. So no one here can do anything about it.

EDIT to your late addition: "bad routing" doesn't mean DNS issues. It means that the computers used for routing the packets are having difficulty. By the time the packets have got to them their Domain names have already been resolved, so DNS does not come into it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to