User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hack
(newbie) Sat 02-Mar-13 18:55:06
Print Post

Question regarding install (inaccessible master socket)

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I want to upgrade to Infinity but I have a problem, my master socket isn't accessible. I only have one phone socket in the whole house and it's the master socket which is behind my bed, which is wedged in between my workstation. Basically to get to the master socket I'd need to empty my entire room which isn't really an option.

My question is, am I screwed? Or is there something the BT engineer could do without having to have access to my current master socket? Is it possible for him to install a new one without having access to the old one?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 02-Mar-13 19:41:42
Print Post

Re: Question regarding install (inaccessible master socket)

[re: Hack] [link to this post]

Depends on how friendly and willing he is! He might or might not, or he could say it is chargeable, or refuse to do it (some might) and you could get charged for an abortive visit. It is up to you to make it accessible.

If he does install a new one, then it may be a way from the current one and you will need to urun additional cabling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Hack
(newbie) Sat 02-Mar-13 20:42:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

OK, so lets say I pull my room apart so he can get to the master socket, will he be able to move it to the other side of the room where my PC is?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 02-Mar-13 21:09:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Hack:
OK, so lets say I pull my room apart so he can get to the master socket, will he be able to move it to the other side of the room where my PC is?
If the ISP has authorised it the Openreach guy can put it pretty well anywhere as part of the "home wiring solution"

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User toonfan
(regular) Sun 03-Mar-13 07:33:35
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

The guy who installed mine was old school BT engineer. Presented with an old, awkwardly placed master socket we agreed a different approach. He replaced all the outside wiring, so he could put a new master socket elsewhere (exactly where I wanted). Drilled wall and hey presto. Less stress for him and a quicker job.

He said he would just put it down on work sheet as faulty outside wiring. Biccies and Coffee kept him happy and I pushed a decent bottle of wine in his hand when he left.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Mar-13 08:10:25
Print Post

On top of the other good advice you have been given, it should be said that this is a problem of your own making, so no obligation for anyone else to anything about it.

I'd suggest that you shift stuff to provide access, if the installer walks in to .....
'There's no access to the NTE, what do you suggest I do'
I can think of a couple of answers you won't like.

Print Thread

Jump to