User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User leej
(regular) Sun 03-Mar-13 14:33:10
Print Post

Switching from Be* to BT Broadband / Router advice wanted

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm reluctantly switching to BT Broadband after seven years with Be* (now that they are selling out to Murdoch) and I really don't want to stop using my Billion 7800n. Am I allowed to use a router other than the BT Home Hub on BT Broadband? Does anybody have experience with the Billion 7800n and how it compares to the Home Hub?

If I *can* use my own router, should I plugin the Home Hub the moment BT take over the internet, or will it be OK to use the 7800n from the start?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 03-Mar-13 14:37:53
Print Post

Re: Switching from Be* to BT Broadband / Router advice wante

[re: leej] [link to this post]

It should be fine ... You can use what ever you want on the line provided it meets the appropriate ADSL specs.

You may need to delete your old login details.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Mar-13 17:06:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by leej:
If I *can* use my own router, should I plugin the Home Hub the moment BT take over the internet, or will it be OK to use the 7800n from the start?

You will need to configure your 7800 with the PPPoA login details; and probably best to do a complete reset as BT Internet uses the BTWholesale network, and the VPI / VCI numbers are different to BE, and you need a PPPoA login rather than no login with BE.

(unless you're going to Infinity where you use PPPoE and connect your router to the Openreach modem)

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 03-Mar-13 18:11:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Arent the details simply

VCI 0
VPI 38

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 03-Mar-13 19:15:10
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

No, that won't work.

http://btybb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/74...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User leej
(regular) Mon 04-Mar-13 13:59:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

You will need to configure your 7800 with the PPPoA login details; and probably best to do a complete reset as BT Internet uses the BTWholesale network, and the VPI / VCI numbers are different to BE, and you need a PPPoA login rather than no login with BE.

(unless you're going to Infinity where you use PPPoE and connect your router to the Openreach modem)

No, definitely no Infinity for my exchange yet unfortunately.

Thanks very much for the response. I appreciate that reminder about the PPPoA login aspect in particular. I recall Be*'s login details being a bit different from other ISPs and that's what I couldn't put my finger on.
Standard User leej
(regular) Mon 04-Mar-13 14:03:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
No, that won't work.

http://btybb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/74...

Hey, thanks for the link! I just created a second WAN profile for BT in the 7800n. So all I need do now is switch from the BE to the BT profile on activation day (March 25th). Excellent!

It's looking like the BT Home Hub won't even be removed from it's box... unless I ever need tech. support from BT I suppose.
Standard User leej
(regular) Mon 04-Mar-13 14:10:40
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Be* is a bit eccentric. I completely forgot until jchamier's post that it uses MPoA (with no username/password required) rather than PPPoE.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:05:07
Print Post

Be* is a bit eccentric. I completely forgot until jchamier's post that it uses MPoA (with no username/password required) rather than PPPoE.

Sky's "MER" system is pretty similar - and they're probably both more efficient than using PPP. Neither Sky nor BE needed to use PPP as their LLU networks didn't/don't support any other ISP connections - and they know who you are as your line is attached to their DSLAM / ISAM / MSAN port.

Whereas BT Broadband uses the BTwholesale network, as so you need to pass your ID so the wholesale part knows to connect you to the BT ISP, rather than say PlusNet, or Aquiss, or any of the other 100+ ISPs using BTwholesale.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User phookoo
(learned) Mon 04-Mar-13 22:38:05
Print Post

Sorry to jump in, but I have a 7300N & am getting infinity installed in 2 weeks. Would my setup details be as per that link but with PPPOE instead of PPPOA or would there be other differences?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to