User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Sun 03-Mar-13 19:17:42
Print Post

new router required

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Currently on BT infinity 2, using home hub 3, but want to ask you all for your advise, namely, is there a wireless router that I can use instead of the home hub 3?
Hopefully, I'll see one with 4 gigabit lan sockets, good to excellant wireless speeds (even dual band?)
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance all.

Dave.
BTinfinity option 2
Standard User Thribble
(member) Sun 03-Mar-13 21:27:29
Print Post

Re: new router required

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

There's a discussion over @ BT community

quite long but should give you ideas

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/List-of-Route...
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Mon 04-Mar-13 10:16:32
Print Post

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

It really depends on how much you want to spend and whether you only want to replace the HomeHub3 or replace the modem as well.

If you want to replace both then you can't do better than the Fritz! 7390, the one I use, or a Draytek, I think the 2750 or 2850, a Draytek user might be able to tell you which. Both these are fairly expensive but are worth the money.

Bob
BT Home Highway+CIX -> Nildram until Pipex -> SKY -> Be*Unlimited ->BT Infinity WRBRIX
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2189321425.png[/IMG]

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:02:51
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
If you want to replace both then you can't do better than the Fritz! 7390, the one I use, or a Draytek, I think the 2750 or 2850, a Draytek user might be able to tell you which. Both these are fairly expensive but are worth the money.

I have a Draytek, but if wireless is your thing I'd keep the Openreach modem and buy an ASUS dual band router. Draytek seem to have no plans to bring out a simultaneous dual band wireless router.

Plus don't bother changing the VDSL side as its against the terms and the Openreach supplied kit seems to work better with the DLM.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
(committed) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:10:54
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

That's the nice thing about the Fritz! simultaneous dual band...for if I ever need it smile
Had no problem with DLM here I'm about 350 mtrs from the Cab and get 79992/20000, it's been the same since I got the Router and I have never had to reboot it due to problems

Bob
BT Home Highway+CIX -> Nildram until Pipex -> SKY -> Be*Unlimited ->BT Infinity WRBRIX
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:15:30
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
That's the nice thing about the Fritz! simultaneous dual band...for if I ever need it smile
Had no problem with DLM here I'm about 350 mtrs from the Cab and get 79992/20000, it's been the same since I got the Router and I have never had to reboot it due to problems

Yes some people have no issue, others can report that using the ECI modem on a Huawei DSLAM has caused jitter and interleave to be set, and going back to the ECI has removed the interleave.

You're lucky to get top speeds - some of us have 500m lines and only 45meg :-/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
(committed) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:38:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I have heard it is not a very good replacement if the supplied modem is ECI , luckily mine was Huawei.

That's the problem with VDSL, those extra meters make a hell of a difference, I actually get about 74.5/18.6 according to SamKnows Monitoring, it really needs those extra meters to be converted to fibre as well, either FTTB or FTTH then we can all get the same sort of speeds

Bob
  Print Thread

Jump to