User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aam
(committed) Wed 06-Mar-13 00:17:39
Print Post

Home Hub 3 Type B - Reduced Upload Speed Problem

[link to this post]

I'm on Infinity Option 2. With the supplied Home Hub 3A I was experiencing issues when using the GigE gigabit port, so I was sent a replacement Home Hub 3B (refurbished with fw V100R001C01B031SP12). The gigabit worked ok on this, but there was a new issue with the upload speed. It was about 40-50% of what I had with the HH3A, around 8-9 instead of 16-17. It was also the same over wireless. As it seemed that the refurbished HH3B was faulty, I was sent another HH3B. This time the unit was new, but unfortunately it had exactly the same issue with the upload.

If I swap to the old HH3A (using the 10/100 ports), without restarting the Openreach HG612, the upload is back to normal and as soon as I change to the HH3B again it is reduced. The speeds are also normal if I setup a direct pppoe connection to the Openreach HG612.

It all seems rather odd to me, as what is the likelihood of receiving two faulty HH3Bs. Or, maybe I've just been very unlucky. It's starting to feel like a firmware issue with the HH3B (V100R001C01B031SP12), but then I would have expected a lot more people to be reporting the same issue.

I'm currently using the old HH3A, as I rather use the 10/100 ports and have faster upload compared to low upload and working gigabit.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Home Hub 3B, or have I just managed to get two faulty units?

Edited by aam (Wed 06-Mar-13 00:18:22)

Standard User windy
(learned) Wed 06-Mar-13 13:55:59
Print Post

Re: Home Hub 3 Type B - Reduced Upload Speed Problem

[re: aam] [link to this post]

Hi, this may be a silly question, but have you tried a full factory reset of the HH (using a paperclip on the reset button)?

I had a similar issue in that my upload would not exceed 10Mbps. After the factory reset it was up to 18Mbps and I've not had a problem since.

Edited by windy (Wed 06-Mar-13 13:56:25)

Standard User aam
(committed) Wed 06-Mar-13 14:22:34
Print Post

[re: windy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by windy:
Hi, this may be a silly question, but have you tried a full factory reset of the HH (using a paperclip on the reset button)?
It's not a silly question, as it could be easily overlooked, but yes I did try resetting. Unfortunately it made no difference whatsoever. In actual fact I reset each HH3B a number of times, so I could try it with stock and various custom configurations. Unfortunately nothing made a difference with the upload.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 06-Mar-13 14:41:21
Print Post

You can rule the HH3 out by connecting the PC to the modem and setting up a PPPOE dialup session on the PC.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Mar-13 21:10:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

He has done this already Batboy. See " The speeds are also normal if I setup a direct pppoe connection to the Openreach HG612. " in the first post.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 06-Mar-13 21:52:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hard to say what's causing it, could be the router or it could be BT applying some sort of throttling. It's a common problem often solved by using a 3rd party router.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User umar2131
(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-13 11:55:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Could fix your problem:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Solution-For-...

Standard User Thribble
(member) Sat 16-Mar-13 12:28:52
Print Post

I had the same problem wouldn't go above 10mb with HH3

In then end 3 resets did it... the last reset I kept it pressed for 60 seconds and after reboot I got my full upload
  Print Thread

Jump to