User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Terranova
(regular) Mon 11-Mar-13 11:24:03
Print Post

Thinking of Joining BT unlimited ( have some questions)

[link to this post]

Hi guys I'm thinking of joining BT unlimited as my current ISP ( BEthere) is being bought out by Sky and i do not wish to go to them for a couple of reasons that i wont go into here, anyway i have some questions and concerns that I hope some of you can answer especially if your BT Unlimited users.

ok first off a little background, I'm on a failrly long line ADSL2+ gives me a 58db Attenuation with a 4 - 4.5Mb sync on a 6db profile stability is a Issue on ADSL2+ it usually starts out ok but quickly drops usually after a couple of days to a point where it becomes unbearable either syncing at dial up speeds ie under 1Mb or not syncing at all, It is for this reason that I use ADSL1 instead this suits my line much better, I get a 56db Attenuation rate my Sync is at 5 - 5.5Mb and the stability is much better, it does vary however sometimes i can go weeks without a drop other times just a day but it will always resync at the 5-5.5Mb range so i'm happy to live with how this is.

I'm connected to the master socket and have no extentions, the only other thing is a phone that is connected to the line I have also removed the bell wire so the line is as best as it can be at my end.

here are my current stats

Uptime: 1 day, 19:13:29
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,293 / 6,091
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,107 / 5,537
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 56.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 573 / 43,438,253
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 573 / 471
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 262 / 354

Ok so now for the questions.

will i be able to get the same sync etc with BT , I know there is a 10 day training period which is an automated process but will it be able to make changes that will get me what i have now will it even give ADSL1 a go or will it simply stay on ADSL2+ and adjust Attenuation etc to maintain stability to the point that i'm running at dial up speeds, can BT do something themselves rather than the automated system or am i going to be stuck, the great thing about BE was they could make changes etc on my line to get me what i currently have can BT do similar . thanks for any info you can give.

Edited by Terranova (Mon 11-Mar-13 11:28:27)

Standard User Terranova
(regular) Mon 11-Mar-13 20:34:03
Print Post

Re: Thinking of Joining BT unlimited ( have some questions)

[re: Terranova] [link to this post]

100 views and no one has any info at all that's rather disappointing.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Mar-13 20:42:10
Print Post

In theory similar speeds, Be though is usually configured to squeeze a little bit more than other providers on average.

I'd suggest making sure any modem you connect post migration is fixed to ADSL mode like current one. Only concern is the the number of FEC errors, but as they are fec the interleaving is doing its job.

The 6Meg sync at your attenuation is currently very good

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 20:54:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Would the OP's upstream sync drop to 448Kbps if forcing G.992.1 annex A after the move to BT?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Mar-13 21:00:05
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

No

The upstream will only drop to 448 Kbps if BT Wholesale is only IPStream Max at the exchange or a Max like profile is forced upon the line.

Forcing ADSL modem mode when using WBC does not limit upstream speeds. I know because I do it with different hardware during reviews

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 21:03:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info Andrew smile
Standard User Terranova
(regular) Mon 11-Mar-13 21:09:26
Print Post

thanks for the replies. If i do choose to join BT and it's looking most likely i will, I'll be using the BT HUB v3 as the BE router i currently have will have to go back to them and the only other router i have is a very old Netgear DG384v3 and it doesn't have wireless so that's no good anymore.

I'm not sure if the BT HUB can force ADSl1 if it can i'm not sure how to go about doing that I have always in the past had BE and before them Ukonline set the line to ADSL1, will forcing ADSl1 mess up the training period that BT has i dont want to cause any unessessary issues.

in regards to the up sync i'm not really all that concerned i dont do anything that requires a lot of uploading I game a lot via PSN and Steam and stream videos ie cactchup, twich youtube subs etc so download and Ping is more of an importance to me

any more info will be of great help if you have it. but if it does seem i can get rougly the same i'll be happy.

thanks again.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 21:23:11
Print Post

Mr Saffron can certainly answer your questions better than me - but I guess you can use the BT router for starters and take it from there.

What is your current ping to bbc.co.uk and is the latency currently adequate for you needs taking in account that your connection is interleaved?
Standard User Terranova
(regular) Mon 11-Mar-13 21:32:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Mr Saffron can certainly answer your questions better than me - but I guess you can use the BT router for starters and take it from there.

What is your current ping to bbc.co.uk and is the latency currently adequate for you needs taking in account that your connection is interleaved?

my ping to BBC is currently Avg 23ms and yeah latency is fine I dont have any trouble streaming at 720p and throughput etc is as it should be I average around 550-590KB when downloading from Steam etc sometimes a little higher than that if condidtions etc are right.

as i say if BT can offer the same i'll be happy I'm just worried that their automated system wont operate that way and just serverly limit me because it thinks it knows whats best for my line even though I know what it's been capable of for the past 7 years with Ukonline before and currently BE.

Edited by Terranova (Mon 11-Mar-13 21:34:37)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Mar-13 21:37:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Terranova:
as i say if BT can offer the same i'll be happy I'm just worried that their automated system wont operate that way and just serverly limit me because it thinks it knows whats best for my line even though I know what it's been capable of for the past 7 years with Ukonline before and currently BE.

You will be pleased to know the BT ADSL systems are dramatically improved from even 2 years ago - so you might be surprised.

But the HomeHub 3 is not really configurable, as its designed to be simple.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to