User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Tue 19-Mar-13 00:19:16
Print Post

Question on quality of service of BT Unlimited (non-fibre)

[link to this post]

I have a friend who is thinking of jumping to Unlimited £16 a month package, not the fibre one. I said I would help him research it. So I have some questions if anyone can help.

1. How good are the speeds when at busy times ? Is there much slow down ?

2. Are all P2P ports, and other similar download options, unrestricted and as fast as is possible ?

3. Can the £100 Sainsburys voucher be used on whatever you like from the shop, or do you get multiple vouches for specific items up to the fee of £100 ? Is there a minimum spend rule ?

4. I don't know of any other service that does unlimited for under £50, let alone £20, for a non LLU or fibre package. This always leads me to think of the old rule "you get what you pay for". Is there any sort of catch here other than the massive 18 month contract ? No FUP at all ?

5. Is it suitable for xbox 360 gaming and Netflix ?

6. If within 20 days he decides he doesn't like the service, is there any backing out ? If so is there a fee to pay ?

7. Is the router N rated and is it decent ?

8. He can get fibre, but is likely to stay on normal. What sort of quality is fibre in comparison to ADSL2 ?

Thanks for your help. Sorry for all the questions but I have been on the net since 1995 and bounced from ISP to ISP so I don't want to suggest anything to a friend without knowing for sure I am recommending them a decent service.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Mar-13 02:57:09
Print Post

Re: Question on quality of service of BT Unlimited (non-fibr

[re: BlizzardUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BlizzardUK:
4. I don't know of any other service that does unlimited for under £50, let alone £20, for a non LLU or fibre package.
Plusnet? £4.99 pm ADSL2+ or £14.99 pm average FTTC.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Mar-13 08:47:19
Print Post

Gift card works same as ones you can buy in store. So buy anything, no minimum spend

On the unlimited if non llu exchange its bt or plusnet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zhango
(learned) Tue 19-Mar-13 12:18:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by BlizzardUK:
6. If within 20 days he decides he doesn't like the service, is there any backing out ? If so is there a fee to pay ?

That was my question and is discussed here but the answer is not without exit fee penalty - distance selling regs do not apply and once you sign up you are committed to the contract. There is a minimum speed guaranteed and I have been told by BT it is 0.5Mbps or 1Mbps. The person I spoke to was not sure, but I believe that if they can't give you that then they have broken the contract - not that you would be pleased with even 1Meg.

Edited by zhango (Tue 19-Mar-13 12:40:45)

Standard User professor973
(committed) Tue 19-Mar-13 12:51:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Well I certainly did not see any £4.99 from Plusnet on my market 1 exchange.

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Tue 19-Mar-13 14:52:28
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Are Plusnet as good on quality and being as "truly unlimited" as BT is ?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 19-Mar-13 15:16:27
Print Post

Which is something we need to know from the OP, which exchnage is involved.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(committed) Tue 19-Mar-13 15:23:52
Print Post

I think if you are going with an ISP that delivers BTW, then you are probably reducing links in the chain by going with BT. If it was not for their long tie-in I probably would. No services are perfect. My entanet reseller gives superb customer service, but that does not stop the lunchtime slowdown when priority is given to business. That does not make sense to me as they are at lunch at that time. I could pay extra for a business package and get slowed during the day for the privilige! - You pays your money and takes your choice, but current promises of no slowdown is tempting some as if contention does not matter.

(committed) Tue 19-Mar-13 15:25:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well there is mention of a "non LLU package" from the OP, which is why I questioned the PN £4.99.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 19-Mar-13 15:28:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
I think if you are going with an ISP that delivers BTW, then you are probably reducing links in the chain by going with BT.
Wrong. Emphatically so. All other ISPs would be jumping all over the place with complaints to OfCom, as "equivalence" rules.

An Entanet reseller of course does introduce an extra step. Entanet provides BT Wholesale and O2 Wholesale products to its resellers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to