User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 14:04:48
Print Post

Switching to BT - My Experiences

[link to this post]

Hello all,

Today is the date I was given by BT on which my current Tesco Broadband will be switched over to BT's 'Unlimited Broadband'. I have predicted speeds of 16-19.5Mbps according to BT

Tesco sent the MAC Code almost immediately after it was requested, and it has been entered into the BT system, this morning the Home Hub 3 was delivered, and I am now just waiting for the service itself to become active.

I assume I will know when this is, because the current broadband will drop out as it can't connect to Tesco, and this will be a signal to connect the HH?

(I will keep this thread updated as things progress)

Edited by matthewcl375 (Mon 25-Mar-13 14:11:53)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Mar-13 14:32:42
Print Post

Re: Switching to BT - My Experiences

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

I believe are cases, both on BTw connections, where both ISP's logins work concurrently for a short period.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Mar-13 14:34:05
Print Post

It will be interesting to hear if you have a period of downtime because there may have to be some work done at the exchange - we never really established what exchange kit you are/were connected to.

Hope it goes well smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 17:00:03
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

UPDATE

Well, about an hour ago the lights on the old TG582N started flashing, so I swapped it out and installed the new Home Hub, broadband light went blue almost straight away and here are my stats looking on the advanced settings:

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:23:03
Downstream: 15.7 Mbps
Upstream: 888.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 9.4 dB / 11.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 6.2 dB / 3.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 20.0 dBm / 10.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 32

As can be seen my output power has increased, but I am pretty sure I should be seeing a higher sync than 15.7Mbps crazy

Speedtest.net shows 13.5Mbps throughput at the mo, I'm not sure how long it takes for the IP Profile to be calculated....

Edited by matthewcl375 (Mon 25-Mar-13 17:10:23)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Mar-13 17:16:01
Print Post

Be patient, let it settle...the IP Profile is calculated from the downstream sync speed...hopefully you will sync at 24Mbps before too long smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Mar-13 17:16:45
Print Post

IP Profile calculation is instant on the WBC platform
So is 88.2% of the 15.7 Mbps i.e. 13.8 Mbps so no problem there if speedtest.net is showing 13.5 Mbps.

it is possible the connection which is now in its first few hours of running is running on a banded profile, so might get faster. You need to be patient and allow time for things to happen now.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 17:21:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just now downloaded a program at 1.6 Megabytes Per Second, so certainly faster than before smile

Is it normal for the Hub to re-sync at higher speeds than the first speed during the first 24 hr/10 day period?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Mar-13 17:24:14
Print Post

It is possible

As there were question marks over the lines performance previously, it is time to monitor and keep notes, but NOT ask about every little change until things have settled down now.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 18:13:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sure, I will keep an eye on the ADSL line stats. Still waiting on the BTW Speed Tester to update, as it's currently showing "an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service."
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 20:01:54
Print Post

Is anyone aware of a tool like router stats that works with the Home Hub 3?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to