User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Mar-13 08:19:28
Print Post

Switching to BT - JJB Experiences

[link to this post]

Seeing matthewcl375's experiences has prompted myself to start a similar thread!

I decided to jump ship, from O2, as I wasn't prepared to be palmed off to Sky!

Accordingly I decided to go to BT & was attracted by their Unlimited Broadband offer (incl 6 months free & a £100 Sainsbury's Card). (NB:- my Telephone Service is already with BT).

Having already got my MAC I went on-line, on Sunday, to place my order (which included upgrading to Unlimited Anytime Calls, plus a full year's Line Rental in advance).

On face value, everything went fine & I even got a subsequent email confirming everything.

However, I had some nagging doubts over a few issues:-
A) Despite spending some time checking my Line, it did NOT provide me with any estimated Speed details.
B) It hadn't asked if I had a MAC available.
C) For all intents & purposes, there was nothing in the Order confirmation that indicated that they were taking over a Broadband Service (rather it tended to imply that it was assuming a brand new provision).

Accordingly I thought it prudent to contact BT's Customer Service.

The guy that I spoke to, once he had looked up the details, was totally amazed.

As far as he could tell, the Order had modified by Telephone provision but NOT my Broadband. He also confirmed that I should have been asked for my MAC & I should have been provided with an estimated Line Speed.

He re-took my Order (incl MAC & confirming anticipated Line Speeds ****) & provided a new Order number. He also advised that I would be transferred on 3rd April. He also confirmed that I would be getting ALL of the Exclusive-Online-Offers (i.e. £100 Card etc)

Very shortly afterwards, I received a "Sorry-you-are-leaving" from O2 (effectively confirming that they were now formally aware of my leaving).

I will now wait to see if everything progresses appropriately.

As an aside, when I had initially spoke to O2 requesting my MAC, O2 did confirm that they did NOT require a separate Contract Termination Notice & that they work on the actual transfer date as arranged by the "Receiving ISP". The only stipulation was that this should NOT be within 7 days of receipt of my MAC (7 days being the minimum effective notice required). O2 also advised that any monies already paid for service pass the transfer date would automatically be refunded.

(****) -
I was advised that I should get:-
17Mb - Estimate download speed, within a 10Mb-19.5Mb Download speed range.

Regards,
John
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Mar-13 13:42:05
Print Post

Re: Switching to BT - JJB Experiences Update

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Hadn't received any specific confirmation on either the Order, the activation Date, etc. Accordingly I went online to check my Order:-

A) They have given me a xxx@btinternet.com email address as my Order Contact Details - however, this doesn't become active until AFTER my BB is transferred (nor have I been given any login details), so how do they expect me to see the Order details?

B) Although I had ordered, as an extra, Anytime Calls, this was not shown.

C) Although I had ordered a Year's Line Rental "up-front", this was not shown.

D) etc

Have just spent 30mins on the phone getting clarification & correcting the errors.

Hopefully, I have now persuaded them to re-send an Order confirmation to my existing/permanent email address!!

Regards,
John
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Mar-13 20:16:40
Print Post

Have just got home & received my Order Confirmation Letter.

If you recall I ordered the unlimited Broadband Package which is advertised at £16 per month (1st 6-months free). However, according to the Confirmation Letter, they are going to charge £18 per month (1st 6-months free)!!

Contacting BT I got put through to a Call-Centre Operator who was NOT prepared to listen! He wanted to discuss the Anytime-Calls option, the Line Rental upfront charge etc, etc, etc! But he didn't seem to listen - he just never got around to discussing why I was going to be over-charged.

After much "discussion" he eventually decided he needed to refer to someone, so he put me on-hold!

After a few minutes of being on hold, he then come back & started to explain the Anytime-Calls option, the Line Rental upfront charge etc, etc, etc AGAIN!!

Each time that he explained an item that was NOT relevant, I asked him to ONLY discuss the Broadband Charge - but he didn't take any notice.

Eventually I requested to be put through to a Supervisor, but he chose to ignore this & carried on about the Line Rental etc.

I again asked to be put through to a Supervisor - again he ignored me!

Finally (by this time the "steam" was starting to rise) I stated that he had a choice:- either put me through to a Supervisor or I will cancel the Order!!

This time he agreed to put me through to the relevant Department.

After a bit of holding, I was eventually put through to a Department in this country. After checking the records & listening to my query, the Lady confirmed that a "Wrong-Promotion-Box" had been ticked & that she would correct it.

Under the circumstances I thought that I'd better check that I was still going to get the £100 Sainsbury's Gift Card - which she confirmed!

Strewth, why are these things such hard work? Why don't Call-Centre Operators actually listen to & try to answer the ACTUAL Query/Complaint, rather than just trying to spout some standard "Script-Kiddy" responses? (NB:- this last point is a general criticism of a lot of Call-Centres, not just BT's!)

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Mar-13 20:37:23
Print Post

Yes they can prevaricate but they are also open to negotiation smile
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Mar-13 22:07:15
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

It is all getting very frustrating!

I've just been on-line & I've notice that they have now changed the Order Date to today's date, despite the fact that I initially placed it last weekend!

Makes me wonder if I will have difficulties getting my £100 Sainsbury's Card! frown

Just how many more times do I have to chase up BT to get the correct Order placed on the correct date, with ALL of the correct Promotional benefits??

Regards,
John
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Mar-13 22:25:06
Print Post

What I have found with BT (never had broadband with them only line rental) is to get all agreements in a text message, if dealing with an overseas call centre, or by e-mail if dealing with a UK call centre so that there is proof of the agreement.

It is odd though that overseas call centres like to use text messaging and UK call centres are happy to use e-mail.

Oh, and yes always deal with the supervisors and never hang-up until you speak to one especially if it is an overseas call centre.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Mar-13 16:22:22
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I note that, according to the BT Web-Site, that my Hub & Welcome Pack were dispatched yesterday. Unfortunately, according to the Royal Mail Web-site, the Tracking Number has been allocated but they haven't yet received anything from BT!

Earlier today I received an Ansaphone Message, from BT, concerning my Broadband. Unfortunately the massage left was garbled & I couldn't understand it. However I did understand that they would be sending an email - although this has failed to arrive!

Regards,
John
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Mar-13 16:37:23
Print Post

Hope it gets sorted soon otherwise it may not be possible to get through to a UK call centre before next Tuesday.

I had problems with my aunt's BT phone account and it took about a year to sort out and one occasion it took 3 months to sort out my own phone account. However I'm sure your problems will be addressed and rectified quicker than that - just remember they are always open to negotiation smile
Standard User richarddawson
(experienced) Sun 31-Mar-13 05:39:57
Print Post

@btinternet.com email is yahoo operated.

Rick Dawson

BT
DJ'ing live Trance with video:
Sundays 8-10pm GMT on www.radio4by4.com/trance and www.tranceformers.net
Wednesdays 8-10pm GMT www.livegrooves.com
My website: www.richarddawson.co.uk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Apr-13 10:38:23
Print Post

Re: Switching to BT - JJB Experiences Update - 02/04/13

As per my previous posting, BT advised that they had dispatched the Home-Hub last Thursday, but Royal Mail had not received it.

Royal Mail eventually received it into their Yorkshire Distribution Centre mid-afternoon on Saturday.

Have just checked the Royal Mail site & noticed that the Home-Hub hasn't moved since Saturday afternoon!

Although it is still possible, it is starting to look as if I will not be getting my Home-Hub in time for the change-over, which is tomorrow!

Regards,
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to