User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ManiZ
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 10:31:52
Print Post

New BT Infinity installed - Couple of questions

[link to this post]

Hi All,

My BT Infinity 2 line has been installed today, initial impressions are good, however I have a couple of questions:

1. I have purchased an Asus N66 router, how do I get this to replace my home hub? Is it just plug and play or do I need to have some account details which I need to setup in the router? Where would I get those account details?

2. I cant seem to access the Home Hub 3 on http://bthomehub/home? Is there another link I can use to access the Home Hub?

3. The upload speed is only 10Mbps when it was estimated at 20Mbps prior to install, will this improve over time?

I have listed my initial speedtest.net findings below. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks

ManiZ

Current Speed Results with Home Hub 3

Pre install estimate of 68Mbps download 20Mbps upload

Macbook Pro via wireless 1 metre from router: 61.2Mbps download 9.17Mbps upload
Macbook Pro via wireless upstairs bedroom: 59.62Mbps download 9.07Mbps upload

iPhone 5 wireless 5 metres away in living room. 41.38Mbps download 9.52Mbps upload
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Mar-13 10:54:21
Print Post

Re: New BT Infinity installed - Couple of questions

[re: ManiZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ManiZ:
1. I have purchased an Asus N66 router, how do I get this to replace my home hub? Is it just plug and play or do I need to have some account details which I need to setup in the router? Where would I get those account details?

Username = bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Leave Password box empty but if router doesn't like that just put a space.

2. I cant seem to access the Home Hub 3 on http://bthomehub/home? Is there another link I can use to access the Home Hub?

You need a . where you have the / try http://bthomehub.home but if that doesn't work try http://192.168.1.254

3. The upload speed is only 10Mbps when it was estimated at 20Mbps prior to install, will this improve over time?

Try connecting a laptop using an Ethernet cable and disable wireless and test again. You can't rely on wireless for speed testing.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds ~46 / ~8.5 Mbps - Sync 48.9 / 10 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> Draytek 2820 -> Airport Extreme -> Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User ryant704
(regular) Wed 27-Mar-13 10:56:45
Print Post

[re: ManiZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ManiZ:
Hi All,

My BT Infinity 2 line has been installed today, initial impressions are good, however I have a couple of questions:

All you would need to-do is setup the PPPoE connection with the username and password.

Username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password: BT

Try putting 192.168.1.254 into your browser

I've not really seen 20Mbps upload on 20 estimates, the majority get 16/18Mbps. The low speed will be due to wireless I feel...

I have listed my initial speedtest.net findings below. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks

ManiZ

Current Speed Results with Home Hub 3

Pre install estimate of 68Mbps download 20Mbps upload

Macbook Pro via wireless 1 metre from router: 61.2Mbps download 9.17Mbps upload
Macbook Pro via wireless upstairs bedroom: 59.62Mbps download 9.07Mbps upload

iPhone 5 wireless 5 metres away in living room. 41.38Mbps download 9.52Mbps upload
Use the link below and start by clicking "Begin Test" once that has finished you will be displayed with Download, Upload and Ping. You will then have a "Further Diagnostic" button that page proceed by clicking it.

Then tell us the IP profiles for down and upload.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 27-Mar-13 12:04:21
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

smile
I hope you don't get into the habit of either unnecessarily quoting full posts when replying, instead of just the Reply button for the intended post, as it is usually obvious which you are replying to and the post headers tell us anyway; and putting your reply inside any quote you make - that issss messy tongue.

It is also possible to do partial quotes in a few ways. The simplest is a full quote from which you delete all stuff that isn't directly needed for your reply.

Cheers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ryant704
(regular) Wed 27-Mar-13 12:07:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It is also possible to do partial quotes in a few ways. The simplest is a full quote from which you delete all stuff that isn't directly needed for your reply.

Cheers.

I know, I was on my phone. tongue
Standard User ManiZ
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 12:25:51
Print Post

Thanks jchamier & ryant704.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Mar-13 12:50:21
Print Post

The poster has a point. It is difficult to do a partial quote on a device that has no cut/copy/paste. Have same problem on Kindle.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 27-Mar-13 12:54:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Except for the post in question a quote wasn't needed at all. As I thought I gently intimated in my post smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ryant704
(regular) Wed 27-Mar-13 13:07:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Except for the post in question a quote wasn't needed at all. As I thought I gently intimated in my post smile.

Maybe to you, but you're not taking into account that the user may have no Broadband/Networking knowledge. Our brains will automatically assume thing's as you are use to thinking like that, his thinking pattern could be totally different compared to ours.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 27-Mar-13 16:19:05
Print Post

This looks like turning into a lecture or disagreement, which wasn't my intention at all from what I tried very hard to not look grumpy.

Seeing as the OP managed a fairly comrehensive post, surely he could have coped if you had just hit the Reply button instead of the Quote button, and then posted:-

Use the link below and start by clicking "Begin Test" once that has finished you will be displayed with Download, Upload and Ping. You will then have a "Further Diagnostic" button that page proceed by clicking it.

Then tell us the IP profiles for down and upload.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I'd be 100% sure he would have found that easier than working what the heck was going on with it included inside the quote - which at first sight makes your post look as though you have quoted him but not said anything frown.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to