User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 20:24:13
Print Post

What do you want to see in the next Home Hub?

[link to this post]

Recently I came across something on the internet regarding a new hub trial on the BT Trial Centre. I was too late to sign up, but it got me thinking on what BT could do for the next one. I couldn't find a post like this, so I'd thought I'd make one so I could hear other peoples thoughts and wishes for the next Home Hub. I'll start!

Gigabit Ethernet Ports
I can only assume that BT designed the Hub with one GigE due to cost. If they were all Gigabit then perhaps it would save some people from having to buy switches instead. The limitations of the current Hub wouldn't be felt so much on FTTC, but I can imagine on FTTP it might get rather annoying!

Combined Modem/Router
The announcement that CP's could use their own modem gives me faith that maybe we could see a combo box that does both jobs in one. Remove the need for two plug sockets and would look better. I'd imagine that this would be implemented in such a way that it could also be used in modem mode only like the Virgin Superhub, for those who want to bring their own routers. Not sure how this would work for FTTP, as the ONT seems rather more complex. Maybe BT could just offer a combi hub for FTTC customers, or allow it to be used with the VDSL component dormant when used on ADSL.

Wall Mountable
If it were to be a combined box, then why not wall mount it? OR current mounts the modem by default, so if BT were to make a new Hub why not use the exact same fitting to allow users to simply swap and replace? Less Hassle for the consumer.

AC Wireless
Wishful thinking I know but wouldn't it be great if it supported this? Especially useful for FTTP as I think 'N' maxes out at 300mbs and that's the theoretical limit with actual speeds, from what I can see, less than half of this. Would be great for FTTP and for future proofing! The lack of consumer routers support this though lead me to believe it will be a long time before we see any kind of support for it in bundled routers.

Feel free to add your own suggestions, I'd love to know what sort of things other people might want!

Patiently waiting for the day when I can order FTTC : /
BT [6.8Mbps Download] [0.7Mbps Upload]
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 09:27:51
Print Post

Re: What do you want to see in the next Home Hub?

[re: Crusiux] [link to this post]

The Virgin Superhub is, as you say, a combined modem and router. But it had problems right from the start concerning wireless range and strength. The upgrade to permit modem only mode was an improvement but did not solve all the issues. The 5MHz option works very well, although range is not so good.
At least with the current BT setup wireless is reasonable - combined modem/router setups don't seem to work so well, probably because the ISPs go for the cheaper models to keep the price down.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 01-Apr-13 10:34:51
Print Post

People expect their hub to be provided "Free" and because of that BT will only make required and basic functionality available and for a majority of customers that is all that is required.

Most of the users they ask about what is needed will be advanced users who will want Gbit on every port, 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless, wireless repeaters, 2 USB ports for NAS drives, VOIP connectivity, &c A totally biassed sample. The number of locations I see where nothing more than the basics are in use is probably 10 times the number where even one non-basic function is in use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 01-Apr-13 15:21:32
Print Post

the cost of gige vs 100mbit ports especially when there is a gigabi capable processor (as is the case with hh3) will be very small, I am baffled the hh3 had a gigabit port mixed with 100mbit ports as the cost savings would have been tiny. If its not corrected in the hh4 (assuming is a hh4) I will be gobsmacked.

I assume you mean vdsl modem? as the hh3 can already act as a adsl modem? maybe it would be welcome because the current modem situation isnt great, the ECI looks like a half done job, the hg has issues on ECI dslams, and a friztbox costs over £200.

dont care for wallmount.

I think the gui needs to be less dumbed down, at least have the ability to allow pings.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 70/20, Current Attainable 68/23 frown
Standard User slowv
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 17:21:47
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

It's easy, I would like to see a Fritz!box 7390 re branded as HH4 with AC wireless. Job Done. (Although BT might baulk at the price!)
Standard User deathtrap3000
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 23:52:32
Print Post

[re: slowv] [link to this post]

Latest rumors suggest that the next hub will have 5ghz wifi unfortunately, and a built in vdsl modem.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Apr-13 09:16:18
Print Post

I built in coffee machine.

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Tue 02-Apr-13 09:33:26
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I want it to connect wirelessly at full Infinity speed even to my old 801.11g notebooks in the opposite corner of the house or in the garden. I like making my own coffee, though, so leave out that bit.

More seriously, I am afraid any new HomeHub is unlikely to all that brilliant; people who want advanced functions will almost certainly still need to buy their own. Meanwhile, I still find the old HomeHub (just) adequate.

Main feature I would like is the ability to set my own DNS at the router ~ but the old one could clearly do that if BT chose to allow it in the firmware.
All gigabit ports would make sense ~ because of the layout of our house I would still use a switch anyway so it wouldn't actually help us.
And support for the latest wireless standards.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Tue 02-Apr-13 09:33:59)

Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Tue 02-Apr-13 10:10:47
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The Fritz! box although expensive, as is the Draytek, is well worth the money if you are on a Huawei dslam, for some reason there have been reports of problems with the Fritz! on the ECI dslams.

It also has a power function for the ports so that you can change them from 100mbit to 1gbit, thereby saving energy if some of your peripherals only use 100mbit

This is the sort of kit that BT should be making for Power Users, they could still keep the old HH3 for the normal users, and maybe charge the difference for those who want something better.

Wallmount is useful, and it is only 2 holes in the base after all.

PS forgot to mention it also has simultaneous 2.4 & 5 Ghz WiFi unlike the Draytek

Bob
BT Home Highway+CIX -> Nildram until Pipex -> SKY -> Be*Unlimited ->BT Infinity WRBRIX
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2189321425.png[/IMG]

Edited by The_Voyager (Tue 02-Apr-13 13:39:43)

Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Tue 02-Apr-13 13:21:31
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

I'd certainly be willing to pay more if it meant I could get a greater degree of control. I would have considered a Fritz! but my cabinet, based on its exterior, is ECI and your comments made me a little more cautious. Also I find it to look hideous. I know its not exactly going to be a work of art or the centre piece of a room but still at least make it look decent. Why on earth they painted it red and added those fins on I'll never know!

Patiently waiting for the day when I can order FTTC : /
BT [6.8Mbps Download] [0.7Mbps Upload]
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to