User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Apr-13 09:45:59
Print Post

BT Hub Query

[link to this post]

Sorry if I'm confused about this!! As you will see, from other posts, I'm a new BT User, with a brand new BT Hub!

If I understand it correctly BT have automatically configured this Hub so that any passing/nearby BT User can log in & use a bit of my bandwidth to connect to the Internet.

Accordingly, how do I run a realistic Speed-Test without the results being "distorted" by the possible presence of "Unknown-Users"?

Additionally, if one of these "Unknown-Users" undertakes illegal and/or undesirable activities, will this be linked to the IP Address that I'm on (hence could suddenly find myself "barred" from sites or worse)?

Regards,
John
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 04-Apr-13 09:48:38
Print Post

Re: BT Hub Query

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I think their download is limited to 3Mbps although the upload is unlimited. They're on a totally different network and their usage would not be linked to you in any way.

The best way to prevent this is to use a different router.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 04-Apr-13 09:51:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Apr-13 10:00:08
Print Post

You can opt out of the hot spot side of things, and unless you live above a cafe I doubt you will see anyone on it.

They can only use a proportion of the bandwidth, so should not heavily affect speed tests.

On the legal side, different IP address, as they are tunneled over your connection, and they have to log in, so illegal activity is traceable to the login they used.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Apr-13 10:17:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You can opt out of the hot spot side of things, and unless you live above a cafe I doubt you will see anyone on it.

They can only use a proportion of the bandwidth, so should not heavily affect speed tests.

On the legal side, different IP address, as they are tunneled over your connection, and they have to log in, so illegal activity is traceable to the login they used.

Many thanks, Saffy (& also Batboy) very helpful.

Don't really object to the concept, just the concerns that you have both clarified.

Regards,
John
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 04-Apr-13 10:36:02
Print Post

The problem with opting-out is that you can't use BT Wifi in other hotspots, yourself.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 04-Apr-13 10:44:58
Print Post

I have never detected anyone else on my Openzone connection ... except; me when trying to sort out login problems for it or to remotely login to services here and visitors for whom it is easier than giving them my network keys.

As pointed out -- by making it available, you then have access to them elsewhere if you need.

On warning. If you decide to change your local IP range from the 192.168.0.xxx do not select 10.0.0. xxx as that is what the Openzone. It retains the separation but has been know to give problems of various sorts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Apr-13 11:09:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The problem with opting-out is that you can't use BT Wifi in other hotspots, yourself.

Precisely!! laugh

Regards,
John
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 04-Apr-13 12:50:59
Print Post

But if you stay "opted in" but use another router (better routers than the HH3 are available!) you retain your included BT WIFI access but noone can share your connection.

This has been confirmed by BT and is officially allowed!

Win win situation. Having said that I have never actually used the BT WIFI facility - the only time it would have been of use is at hotels who have BT Openzone provided WIFI with free access for holders of loyalty cards.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Apr-13 19:00:59
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
But if you stay "opted in" but use another router (better routers than the HH3 are available!) you retain your included BT WIFI access but noone can share your connection.

This has been confirmed by BT and is officially allowed!

Excellent, I do this! By mistake I suspect. The HomeHub 3 is pretty annoying and doesn't have 5 GHz WiFi so I ditched it.

iPhone users and probably Android now, can get a BT WiFi app (new name for Openzone) that automatically logs you into any hotspot, e.g. Starbucks or motorway service areas etc.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds ~46 / ~8.5 Mbps - Sync 48.9 / 10 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> Draytek 2820 -> Airport Extreme -> Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Apr-13 19:14:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
The HomeHub 3 is pretty annoying and doesn't have 5 GHz WiFi so I ditched it.

So what do you recommend as an alternative?

Regards,
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to