User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 10:13:30
Print Post

Should I ditch O2 for this? - 18 months at £11.10

[link to this post]

I've requested my MAC from O2 and received it yesterday. This is in preparation for the coming changeover to Sky which I'm not keen on so I've been looking at options.

Last week we had a letter from BT offering their top level Total Broadband package for an 18 month period at £11.10 per month. It looks to me to be a pretty good deal. I've done a speedtest on the BT website and it states I should expect around 14 mbps. I currently get around 16 mbps with O2. I'm on this exchange:-

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESBYB

The exchange looks like its getting Infinity at some point in the future but there's no date specified as yet, I'd change over to that once its activated.

Has anyone else went with this offer?. How have you found it to be in as far as initial change over and speeds etc go?

Thanks.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Sun 07-Apr-13 10:20:14
Print Post

Re: Should I ditch O2 for this? - 18 months at £11.10

[re: RSV_Ecosse] [link to this post]

You'll probably find that your current O2 actual speed is a better guide to your BT speed than the BT estimate. You may have slightly different equipment at the exchange after the move as you were probably on the BE/O2 LLU equipment, but the main thing that controls speed is the quality of the line, which will be unchanged.

Oh, and you'll trade the not very good O2 box for the not very good HomeHub; but again that probably won't make much difference either.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Sun 07-Apr-13 10:21:08)

Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 10:23:17
Print Post

I am guessing that the price you quote doesn't include the Line Rental which I think is around £15.00 a month. I am not a great lover of Sky but I understand it's going to be several months before anything changes, and having had the painful experience of BT's "Customer Support" recently I wouldn't personally go anywhere near them. I get about 7.5 megs with O2 and found customer service to be excellent and will stay with them. Everybody is happy when things are working it's when it goes wrong you need a customer service that sorts it out for you instead of spending time explaining over and over again what your problem is because it doesn't fit the script on the screen.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-13 11:00:21
Print Post

I swapped from Be to BT. Speed is the same as with Be and the connection seems, if anything, to be a little more robust. I'm looking forward to fibre which is due to be available in the next couple of months. I'm very pleased with the switch.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Apr-13 12:13:10
Print Post

The equivalent on Plusnet is £9.99pm (ongoing) if you don't take Plusnet phone, and £4.99pm for the first 12 months if you do, then £9.99pm. Both are 12-month contracts. Line rental gets a discount if you pay the year (for that not the broadband) in advance.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 07-Apr-13 12:14:33)

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-13 12:50:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by RSV_Ecosse:
Has anyone else went with this offer?. How have you found it to be in as far as initial change over and speeds etc go?

Thanks.

I went with a previous offer. However the changeover was completed this week.

Had some issues with BT over them mucking up the Order, but did eventually get there.

Just before I left O2 I ran a TBB Speedtest & then, a couple of days after the changeover, I ran it again.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my download throughput speed had jumped by approx 2M (from 16M to 18M).

Obviously, it is still early days but the BT supplied HomeHub appears to be quite competent & I'm getting good WiFi coverage throughout my home.

Regards,
John
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-13 14:03:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RSV_Ecosse:
Last week we had a letter from BT offering their top level Total Broadband package for an 18 month period at £11.10 per month.
You sure this is not their limited 10GB usage package?

They usually only do their special offers on their lowest package. It's price is £6.50 pm for 3 m and then £13. (3 x £6.50 + 9 x £13) /12 = £11.38 pm avg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Apr-13 14:15:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Top one on the website is £21, free for six months = £10.50 average. So £11.10 looks strange.

I wonder who the OP's phone is with.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User zhango
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 15:16:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Adding 'Friends & Family International' adds £1.10 per month which would explain the .10p but I can't find the tenner to make £11.10?
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 16:49:40
Print Post

[re: zhango] [link to this post]

To answer a few questions - My phone line is with BT and yes, this price of £11.10 is indeed excluding line rental.

The offer is definitely for their top package, not any of the lower ones or limited download types. The letter outlining the special offer is for current BT customers and is headed 'Our top of the range broadband package for half price'.

The text of the letter reads:-

To thank you for choosing us, we've chosen you for something special. You can get our top of the range broadband package with unlimited UK evening and weekend calls for £11.10 a month, plus your usual line rental throughout.
Normally this costs £26 a month, so you'll be getting it for less than half price. You won't see this offer advertised anywhere. It's only for the handful of people we're writing to.
Here are some of the benefits that set this package apart:-

Unlimited usage. You don't have to worry about exceeding your limit or paying extra. You can download music, watch films and BBC iPlayer and play games - as much as you like.
The latest technology. You get our most reliable wireless signal ever to your laptop, desktop, tablet or phone, thanks to the latest Smart Wireless and 'N' Technology.
BT Home Hub worth £99. Your Home Hub is included. All you pay is £6.95 for delivery.
Free, unlimited wifi minutes. When you're out and about you can avoid expensive data costs by logging on with your smartphone or laptop at over 4.5 million hotspots in the UK and 3 million abroad - the largest wifi network in the world.
Free advanced McAfee Family Protection software worth £44.99, to help keep your children safe online.

Plus unlimited UK Evening and Weekend calls. You can chat away to family and friends every night and all weekend. Unlimited UK evening and weekend calls are all part of the package. And unlimited minutes to 0845 and 0870 numbers are also included within your calling plan times so you can ring companise like banks without worrying about costs.

The small print says:-

Unlimited Broadband. Includes BT Total Broadband Option 3, normally £26 per month. Offer ends 18th April 2013. £11.10 a month then £25.50 a month from month 19. Available by invitation only to new broadband customers who sign up for an 18 month minimum term and already pay BT line rental.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to