User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Apr-13 17:00:33
Print Post

Sanity check on HomeHub3

[link to this post]

OK have one to play with for Wireless evaluation, i.e. to compare against the other kit we review and guess what.

I cannot get into the web interface, either via ethernet or wireless.

HH3 is running on its usual http://192.168.1.254 did get Chrome to open the web interface for a short time, but then it ground to a halt.

Is the HH3 very very very slow when there is no broadband plugged in. Don't have a BT Broadband connection, but had assumed could log into web interface and do some LAN to LAN testing, and possible WAN to LAN testing in Infinity setup.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 11-Apr-13 17:32:49
Print Post

Re: Sanity check on HomeHub3

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah yes, there's something you can turn off or explicitly specify... is it the DNS server, NTP time server? something like that.

Any clues in the log?

Try a different browser...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 11-Apr-13 17:33:50)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Apr-13 17:53:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

IE and Chrome are being a pain, will try different machines tomorrow, but this is a setup that I use all the time and generally fine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Apr-13 17:59:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
HH3 is running on its usual http://192.168.1.254 did get Chrome to open the web interface for a short time, but then it ground to a halt.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious, but the "official" way of logging in is:- http://bthomehub.home

Regards,
John
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Apr-13 18:03:05
Print Post

Last week, I was accessing a HH3 Type A with no broadband connection without any noticeable issues. Is it a Type A or a Type B; they're very different under the skin.

Edit. I was using IE 10's "core" engine.

John.

ISP:BT (4.5Mbps)

Edited by John_ON (Thu 11-Apr-13 18:06:36)

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Thu 11-Apr-13 18:24:14
Print Post

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

I set up my HomeHub with no broadband when it arrived and before I got Infinty; so I knew what to expect for positioning and wireless before the main Infinity installation.I can't remember now, but 99.9% chance I was using Chrome. No problems at all. That is a HomeHub 3B.

It isn't perfect but has been fine for me. The biggest irritation is inability to set DNS servers on the router.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Apr-13 18:45:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Is the HH3 very very very slow when there is no broadband plugged in. Don't have a BT Broadband connection, but had assumed could log into web interface and do some LAN to LAN testing, and possible WAN to LAN testing in Infinity setup.

I played with mine as an access point, without connecting it to any incoming service. I would try a factory reset? You could of course connect the Ethernet WAN to your existing network.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Apr-13 19:16:08
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Just tried with the name and got in but dog slow and hung when trying to get the change admin password.

Off downstairs with it, to try the Mac after dinner.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 11-Apr-13 20:00:05
Print Post

I have a Business Hub 3 - same hardware just different firmware. However, it is not connected to my network but from memory it was fine to access from FF on an XP machine.

I will power it up later and see how well an old (2000/2001) Toshiba with XP and FF performs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Apr-13 20:19:18
Print Post

Resolved - but still slow

OK may have been impatient before, on Home Page if I click Troubleshooting it takes 25 seconds for page to fully open.

NOTE: This is with no internet connection, i.e. my normal review mode to check out device before plugging in, and simulates a home user with a broken ADSL line.

Oddly when I enabled the wireless on the Mac, so the machine had an internet connection the webpages zipped along. Which suggests there is some content on the HomeHub3 configuration pages that may not be being served from the router itself. Strange, in theory I can packet sniff the traffic and delve deeper.

By the way, has anyone tried turning off the firewall to get the BQM ping working? Wording suggests that NAT is still working. Very much a router that has lots of options missing, in the ilk of the TalkTalk and Sky devices.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to