User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Apr-13 15:37:50
Print Post

Changes to BT Yahoo! e-mail terms and conditions

[link to this post]

Unable to reply to Mr Saffron's post.

I find this tack, by BT, both interesting & confusing!

I've just transferred my Broadband to BT (although I've always had my Phone with them & my "normal" email address is registered with them & is used to access their Billing site.

However, during my Broadband Transfer process, BT set me up with an Email Address (which I hadn't asked for) &, also, decided that would be my main/only point of contact with them.

Just to make things even sillier, it was specifically stated that it would be used to provide Order progress updates - but they also stated that it would NOT be activated until AFTER the Order was completed!

Personally I have no need for this unrequested Email - they only concern would be if they sent me some important bit of Contract info that was missed!

(NB:- Hopefully, I've already re-set up that my original Email Address should be also used &, additionally I set auto-forwarding on the BT version - hence, this should catch everything!)

Regards,
John
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 17-Apr-13 15:45:41
Print Post

Re: Changes to BT Yahoo! e-mail terms and conditions

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

It would also have been useful if they had sent an email to each address on 17 January ... at least then people who use the accounts would know and those who don't will have proved they do not and BT could delete accounts without any concerns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Wed 17-Apr-13 15:58:57
Print Post

Also this email address is also used if you want to drop the homehub and use your own router on the BT network as login credentials.

That is why they probably generate this address.

As for me I have never used it and I have my BT billing etc all sent to my own email address with a forward put onto this account to pick up any stray emails. (which there haven't been any yet)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Apr-13 18:43:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
Personally I have no need for this unrequested Email - they only concern would be if they sent me some important bit of Contract info that was missed!

Likewise, I get all my normal BT billing information through my domain email (which I've had over 10years) and the BT email address (@btbroadband.com) I only use for logging in to BT WiFi hotspots when out and about. I never check the account. It will be interesting to see if it does vanish, as the username better stay as I'm in contract for the service. I don't plan on logging in to check it, as BT have always communicated with me via my own address.

I never used it for the router credentials, as the homehubs just have homehub@btinternet.com in their firmware, there isn't any point using anything else. You can't tell a homehub which ID to use anyway.

Heck, they can even phone me wink

I can understand them getting rid of dormant accounts however, and that is a good move, maybe the new Yahoo! is charging BT more than the previous Yahoo management smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Wed 17-Apr-13 18:46:52
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

They have promised that if you set up the BT address for auto-forward (eg to gmail as I have done), then the address will not be deactivated.

Also this email address is also used if you want to drop the homehub and use your own router on the BT network as login credentials.
You can use this address, but don't have to.
almostanything@btinernet.com or almostanything@btbroadband.com will do as user, and anything (or even nothing if the router will accept it) will do as password.

The address/password is used for BT-Fon as well, they say the address will still work for that even if it's email becomes deactivated.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User ryant704
(regular) Thu 18-Apr-13 12:56:46
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Surely this doesn't apply to Primary email addresses?
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Thu 18-Apr-13 14:03:28
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Yes, I believe it will apply even to primary email address.
I guess most people are either auto-forwarding or actually using their primary address; but maybe I guess wrong.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 18-Apr-13 15:05:30
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

It certainly does!

If BT tell users that they will send information to that address then you would expect the users to monitor it. If they do not, then who is at fault? BT or the user?

It takes just a minute for a user to put an auto-forward in place but how many actually bother and then complain?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-May-13 02:10:39
Print Post

Very poor decision by BT - hope someone reconsiders it - quite likely that people deployed in the armed services, taken ill and in hospital, etc. could conceivably end up without internet access for 150 days and lose the whole account unrecoverably... doubly silly as with an active BT internet account its the main point of communication it should never ever expire while linked to an active BT account thats just pants on head retarded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
<needs updating>
  Print Thread

Jump to