User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Johnreilly
(newbie) Sat 20-Apr-13 00:52:23
Print Post

Infinity 2 Nightmare

[link to this post]

I decide to go for Infinity 2 as my estimated connection speed was given as 57M. In case there were any problems though I made sure my cancellation date with my old ISP (Be Unlimited) was set to be after the Infinity activation date so that I could revert easily in case of problems.

An Openreach engineer came out in March but he could only get a speed of 21M so he set me back to ADSL2 at the cabinet and reported a failed installation. I was able to reconnect to my previous ISP with no problems. However another engineer's visit, and another half day off work, was booked. The same engineer came out again and he got the same result. So, again, he put me back to ADSL2 at the cabinet and I was able to reconnect to Be.

I'd decided by then to give up but BT phoned me and insisted they could get it working so I gave them another go. What a mistake.

On Tuesday an engineer came out and did a few more tests but he could only get 21M as well. I told him that was no good but he didn't want to switch me back to ADSL2 at the cabinet and assured me that BT would contact me and if I wanted to cancel it would just need an engineer to switch me back at the cabinet. Simple. Apparently.

What a nightmare I've had since then. Numerous calls to BT, and being passed from department to department as no one seemed to be prepared to own the problem, and staff who insisted that they didn't need to do anything at the cabinet until eventually getting them to agree that they did need to switch me back but, believe it or not, weren't prepared to because I wasn't their customer any more. I've now been left with a mobile phone as my only means of Internet connection, BT won't accept that they should undo the work they did at my cabinet and my old ISP want to send me a new router because they obviously can't deviate from their support scripts.

I'd advise anyone thinking of going to BT Infinity that as their speed estimates are based on geographical calculations there's no guarantee they'll meet the estimated speed. If you then decide to cancel they won't send out an engineer to switch you back so you stand a very real chance of being left in limbo.

I'd heard a lot of bad things about BT customer support but decided to give them a chance anyway. Nothing I'd heard could have prepared me for the appaling experience I've had though. And I think I'm probably a long way away from getting my Internet connection restored.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Apr-13 17:49:09
Print Post

Re: Infinity 2 Nightmare

[re: Johnreilly] [link to this post]

Who was your landline with when you were on Be broadband, (which I gather has ceased?), and who is it with now?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Johnreilly
(newbie) Sat 20-Apr-13 19:59:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Who was your landline with when you were on Be broadband, (which I gather has ceased?), and who is it with now?

The landline was, and still is with, BT. I'm actually still active with BE because I asked them to delay the cancellation and on each previous attempt to connect me to fibre I was able to switch back without any problem.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Apr-13 20:32:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Johnreilly:
he put me back to ADSL2 at the cabinet and I was able to reconnect to Be.
They don't put you back to ADSL2 (ADSL2+ actually) at the cab. All they can do is disconnect your line from the fibre cab, after the abortive FTTC attempt, and let it run straight back thro' the normal cab to the exchange where it joins up with the existing Be LLU kit as before. Hence you remain on BE LLU ADSL2+.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Apr-13 20:48:28
Print Post

I must be misunderstanding "I've now been left with a mobile phone as my only means of Internet connection"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Apr-13 23:34:08
Print Post

Sounds like the engineer has left the FTTC jumpers in place in the cab, hence the OP not being able to get his previous BE service back up and running.

Sounds like sharp practice by the '2nd' installer to me. Wanted to get a 'clear' out of the job, or maybe even a dreaded contractor, ensuring he got his pound of flesh.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 21-Apr-13 00:37:48
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I think I was confused by "still active with Be". I've now realised the service is still active, but he can't access it.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Apr-13 00:54:28
Print Post

If the service is still active with Be, doesn't that mean that the total copper phone line is still connected to the Be LLU DSLAM at exchange? Therefore won't an ADSL modem sync with it and connect to the Be network?

Or are you taking "service still active" to mean just that Be still maintains his credentials at their authentication server?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Apr-13 09:03:02
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

If the service is still active with Be, doesn't that mean that the total copper phone line is still connected to the Be LLU DSLAM at exchange? Therefore won't an ADSL modem sync with it and connect to the Be network?

The ADSL signal from the exchange is being removed by the filter in the VDSL DSLAM port. Hence no ADSL sync.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Apr-13 12:42:39
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Or are you taking "service still active" to mean just that Be still maintains his credentials at their authentication server?

Just for info, but BE (and O2 LLU) don't use any authentication at all.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to