User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spud3607
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 07:48:39
Print Post

BT yahoo mail "MANDATORY" ? upgrade

[link to this post]

I am a little cunfused, I have 3 @btinternet.com addresses delivering to windows live mail. All 3 addresses are checked daily for messages.
I occasionally go to bt yahoo web page to check the spam folder.I don't have a BT yahoo mail program on my computer.Fearful of losing my email and addresses, This is what I asked BT.
" I use "windows live mail"on my computer and only occasionally go to bt yahoo web page to check the spam folder. Will I still get my mail on "windows live mail" or do I have to update."
This is the reply I got.
"From the email sent to us regarding the updating to new btyahoo webmail,It is mandatory to update to new version whether you use windows mail on the bt yahoo mail.
I would request you to check the below links which would give you the information to new terms and conditions and also the information regarding to updating to new version."

If I understand this correctly not only am I forced to change my "email program" but also accept new conditions as well. Surely it cant be "MANDATORY".

HELP please
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 08:10:56
Print Post

Re: BT yahoo mail "MANDATORY" ? upgrade

[re: spud3607] [link to this post]

I'm not aware of any requirement (mandatory or otherwise) that requires you to use a specific Email Client or Web-Access Browser!

BT have issued some revised T&Cs requiring that all Email Accounts should be checked/read within 150days, but that can be via any chosen Client/Browser.

Please refer to Mr Saffron's post, on this subject:-
LINKY

Regards,
John
Standard User roughbeast
(learned) Thu 25-Apr-13 08:53:37
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I got that email too, via Outlook . I was immediately suspicious because a link took you to the BTYahoo log in frame. I'm not sure that BT or Yahoo would send you emails asking for you to use your log in details. That is bad practice.

To be sure I logged in via my usual method by going to the BtYahoo site myself. There was absolutely no sign of any upgrade requirement. This pretty well confirmed to me that this was a sophisticated Phishing attempt. So, I forward the email to Yahoo's phishing department.

If you logged on using the email link I would advise you to change your password pronto!

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Edited by roughbeast (Thu 25-Apr-13 09:40:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 09:33:34
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by roughbeast:
I got that email too, via Outlook
Nobody here said they received such an email! Also the 150 days unused a/c's has already been covered.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User roughbeast
(learned) Thu 25-Apr-13 09:41:55
Print Post

Re: BT yahoo mail "MANDATORY" ? upgrade *DELETED*

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry, repeated information removed. I just wondered if there was a connection.

This is the email I got. It has a link to the BT log on page. This is bad security practice if it comes from BT.

Your Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail is closing.
You need to upgrade now

Hello,

The Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail will be replaced by our new version on 3 June 2013. So it's time to upgrade, before you lose your email access.

When you upgrade your BT Yahoo! Mail
Your email service won't be affected and you'll keep all your old contacts, folders and messages. Plus you'll get:
faster email
the latest spam protection
unlimited email storage.
How you upgrade
Click on the link below and follow the instructions. You'll also need to agree to some new terms and conditions.

Upgrade BT Yahoo! Mail

If your browser displays a message saying it won't support the new version of BT Yahoo! Mail, you'll need to update your browser (it's easy and free) then you can go on to upgrade.

If you don't upgrade now
If you want to carry on getting your emails, you need to upgrade now, because the Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail will stop working after 3 June.

Got a question?
For more information, help or to get in touch, go to bt.com/help/newmail.

Thanks for choosing BT.

Warren Buckley
Managing Director, Customer Service

This BTW is the actual link. Don't use it to log on if you are with BT Yahoo. I don't trust it. I doesn't look right either. Bogus link?

This is what the real one looks like.
The real BT Yahoo log on page.

Edited by roughbeast (Thu 25-Apr-13 09:59:05)

Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 09:46:59
Print Post

I recieved this one on Tuesday.

What is interesting that I have not used this email at all since going back to BT 2 years ago and it has a permament forward on it to my own domain email.

So the question is who managed to get hold of this address if it is not been used if it isn't BT?

Looks like the rumors of Yahoo being hacked may be correct.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:00:14
Print Post

That's just about changing the BT Yahoo Webmail interface. The OP was concerned about his existing BT email addys and accessing them from a mail client on his PC, which is not changing.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User spud3607
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:01:09
Print Post

Hi thanks for the replies.I'm not sure how I got to asking about this, but I do know I didn't log in to btyahoo either on the link or via my browser.
Links from the original mail go to :- http://[removed co uk domain]/r.emt?h=mrd.mail.yahoo.com
Links from the reply go to :- http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/ etc

Still not sure it was phishing. But am happy to leave everything as is.

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 26-Apr-13 11:40:28)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:03:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by spud3607:
I don't have a BT yahoo mail program on my computer
There isn't such a beast! BT Yahoo! Mail is Webmail accessed thro' your browser.

Standard User roughbeast
(learned) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:08:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes, but is it a legit email? The actual BT Yahoo log on page is different with no options to log on with Facebook or other accounts. See the two links at the bottom of my reply above.

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to