User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jw6520
(regular) Fri 26-Apr-13 07:42:57
Print Post

IP Profiles

[link to this post]

I'm looking for some advice regarding IP profiles and upload/download speeds.

I have had BT Infinity 2 installed for over a week now. When I ordered it, I was given an estimated download of 61Mbps and upload of 20Mbps. In fact the maximum I have been able to achieve is 50Mbps download and 10.5Mbps upload. I have tried testing with more than one pc directly connected directly to the HomeHub. If I run a speedtest on the BT Wholesale website, my profile is set at 50.69Mbps down and 20Mbps up.
I have rebooted the HomeHub a couple of times and the DSL modem too but this doesn't seem to have any great difference to my profile/speeds.

Am I being paranoid, particularly with the upload speed being just 50% of the profile??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 26-Apr-13 10:33:09
Print Post

Re: IP Profiles

[re: jw6520] [link to this post]

The upload profile will always be 20Mbps if you are on Infinity 2. It is not managed in the same way as the download profile.

The BT speedtester often underestimates upload speed. Try a few other testers as well. I have found real upload (to SquirrelSave) go faster than the best of tests.

Some people have found that more than one reset of the HomeHub eventually gives better upload speeds. Don't fiddle with the modem unless absolutely necessary.

On the downloads. Most people get slightly above their estimate, but there are lots of people who get a bit less. Aluminium lines is one reason often given. If you are reasonably close to the estimate you may just be one of the unlucky ones, and it will probably not improve.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Fri 26-Apr-13 10:35:59)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 26-Apr-13 11:00:25
Print Post

[re: jw6520] [link to this post]

Which speedtest have you got the results from?

I have come across a few cases where the upstream is stuck at 10Mbps but can finally be increased to 20Mbps. I wish I knew exactly what the fault can be but no one in BT seems to understand it either. It just suddenly rectifies itself.

I changed from 40/2 to 80/20 but my upstream would not go above 8.5 ... even though the modem was giving a 24Mbps attainable. After days of work - yes days of BT on site it finally doubled to 16 or 17 and was stable even though attainable was 24 (ish). By changing from a Huawei to ECI modem it jumped again to 18.5Mbps and stays constant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Apr-13 11:36:55
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

+1 for what MHC said, there is some odd line port cofiguration issue that is impacting some people.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 26-Apr-13 11:45:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But a port swap does not sort it as the profile moves too. I had a port swap and the only part of the upstream that changed was a 3 or 4 Mbps drop in attainable along with around 1Mbps drop in downstream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:26:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Which speedtest have you got the results from?

I mostly use speedtest.net and the bt wholesale test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ .

I used to use http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php as it gave very reliable test results. A few months ago it starting returning very poor download results, and in the last month or so it has given bad upload results as well.

I found the old BT retail test (now dead) gave the most incorrect upload speeds. The new BT retail test appears to be just a shim on the wholesale test; complete with a very confusing report claiming to be sync speed but actually being a guess of sync speed from the IP Profile.

I stopped using the thinkbroadband test much for reasons I forget: just test it and it seems spot on. I'll return to it a bit more.

~~~
When I had some issues on my line (some time ago) I consistently got figures like
17 real upload,
17 visualware, << before it went bad
14 speedtest.net
9 BT wholesale tester
6 BT retail tester << now defunct

Now my line is OK the differences are smaller.
17 real upload
17 Thinkbroadband
15 speedtest.net
14.6 BT wholesale
11.7 visualware

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
  Print Thread

Jump to