User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Tue 30-Apr-13 17:59:51
Print Post

BT Keeps 'losing' My Email Password

[link to this post]

I wonder how many others have been experiencing this :-

You open up Live Mail. It won't connect...it says invalid username or password even though it has worked fine for several weeks. BT Desktop Help then forces one to go through the process of setting up a new password...which of course involves being forced to go to the BTYahoo web site that I never use.

I am convinced that this whole business of losing my password is a scam to force me to visit BT Yahoo web site. A good ISP doesn't just 'lose' people's passwords.

This happens on average every 2 or 3 months.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Tue 30-Apr-13 18:07:58
Print Post

Re: BT Keeps 'losing' My Email Password

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

Doesn't sound helpful. You might find things go much more smoothly if you uninstall Desktop Help.

I'm confused though. Is it the Live Mail password that is getting lost or your BT Yahoo password?
The Live Mail password has nothing to do with BT ;
and BT doesn't remember any passwords except for your BT account (including BT Yahoo email).
Neither would any other ISP.

If anything remembers your password, it is either your browser or your email client, depending how you access your emails.

It may be that Desktop Help is causing confusion by saying something like 'If you have lost your email password, visit this site."
rather than 'If you have lost your BY Yahoo email password, visit this site.". Or ...???

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Tue 30-Apr-13 18:09:03)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Apr-13 18:31:13
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
Is it the Live Mail password that is getting lost or your BT Yahoo password?
I think OP means Windows Live Mail, the email client running on PC, which has no pwd of its own, just holds the pwds of all the email a/c's it is set up for.

It is not unusual for a POP3 server to play up and forget its user's pwd. It usually clears up soon.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Tue 30-Apr-13 18:33:10
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Live Mail is connecting to my BT account, so its the actual BT account password that is being lost.

It can be working fine for weeks, and then one day I open up Live Mail and I get a 'POP' error message saying invalid user name or password.

The problem is nothing to do with BT Helpdesk itself, but thats just the tool I use to reset the password. It forces one to visit the Bt Yahoo web site to confirm that the password has been changed. Thereafter....Live Mail works fine.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 30-Apr-13 18:46:50
Print Post

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

So Live Mail is sending the wrong password to your BT account. I can't see what this has to do with the POP3 server.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Apr-13 18:54:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
So Live Mail is sending the wrong password to your BT account. I can't see what this has to do with the POP3 server.

The protocol that Windows Live Mail (the application) is using to get the BT email is POP3. (this isn't the website that was at one time called Live Mail).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Apr-13 19:08:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Equally possible is WLM is sending the right password to the BT account but the BT Mail POP3 server is failing to recognise it. I've experienced the latter but never the former unless I have mistyped a pwd into the email client grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 30-Apr-13 19:16:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
unless I have mistyped a pwd into the email client grin.
Perhaps that's the problem here?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Apr-13 19:34:02
Print Post

Unlikely!
In reply to a post by Schrodingers_Cat:
even though it has worked fine for several weeks.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 30-Apr-13 19:46:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

My years-old BT email accounts work fine.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to