User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-May-13 17:24:55
Print Post

Carrier Grade NAT

[link to this post]

There are reports on the BT forums that look like BT is implementing CGN by stealth
on 01-05-2013 11h47

I switched to infinity a few days ago and it seems that they have put me on CG-NAT. My external ip reported by my hub is different to the ip reported by whatsmyip.org. Port forwarding is impossible inside the CG-NAT so I have to use a VPN tunnel that supports port forwarding every time I want to get around it.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 02-May-13 17:50:20
Print Post

Re: Carrier Grade NAT

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

yeah and I forewarned those guys that the plusnet tests may have led to a BT rollout.

This country always seems its profit first.

CGN before ipv6? regulation looks needed to correct the attitude.

I seen in a recent news article about how the government wants every connected device to have its own internet ip, not viable on ipv4 but a reason to regulate ipv6.

I am not on CGN here, but it looks like I may be accelerating my move away from BT, or pushing up to BT business infinity.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-May-13 18:31:21
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Having a read of the BT comunity forums as per link, and from whats been said if all is correct then theres going to be a lot of complaints from unhappy customers, many sofware applications need ports to be fowarded as do nearley all online games (in particular if you want to host )
Without the ability to port forward then no or little point in even having a internet connection as it would render it pretty much useless for a lot of things Perhaps unhappy customers should complain en mass to ofcom( that useless quango)

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 02-May-13 18:32:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-May-13 20:49:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
There are reports on the BT forums that look like BT is implementing CGN by stealth

Yikes, lets hope not. I hope (IANAL) that such a technical change would give rise to a termination clause, so I could MAC out to someone else (Probably Sky given I'm using 80+ GB a month).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-May-13 21:04:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I would support this being a major change and being a very bad thing to do, without the end-user being fully aware of the implications.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Fri 03-May-13 08:12:47
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

You, me and a lot of other people, just looked at the Business pricing and it's £9/m more, but I know that other providers are a lot more expensive if you use a lot of data in Peak times

I miss my Be fixed IP, I only need one so that I can access my system whilst abroad, which at the moment is okay using DynDNS, but Carrrier Grade NAT will totally mess that up.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-May-13 09:18:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Waiting on response from BT.

Will do in news and a sticky in forums if anything is happening that is major, or if a support foo bar will report back too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-May-13 10:16:13
Print Post

I have seen something similar on Sky Broadband in the past.

Given that in at least all the examples I've seen BT Retail don't manage their own IP space it'd be quite impressive if they could use CGNAT without a corresponding BT Wholesale product.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 03-May-13 11:52:34
Print Post

whatismyip.org has been unreliable for me for several months now, it never returns the correct IP for my connection - and that's with a static IP on an O2 connection.

I just noticed - type 'what is my ip' into a google.co.uk search now gives an answer direct from google at the top of the search results smile
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Fri 03-May-13 12:07:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The FAQ that you link to in the news item has a link so you can get off of it or opt-out so you don't get thrown onto it.

Poor show from BT as if something went wrong with my connection I wouldn't even think of this as a cause of the problem.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to