User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MerlinSuSE
(regular) Sun 02-Jun-13 13:36:02
Print Post

Installed infinity 2

[link to this post]

I had Infinity 2 installed by BT on Friday. Original estimate was for the full 80/20 as the cab is just over the road from me. Openreach guy was great, used the existing cat5e extension cable I had from the master socket to the cupboard where the rest of my network gear is, so no rewiring, although he did replace all the faceplates and checked the connections.

Currently using the HH3A (shame I didn't get the HH4), but planning on replacing with something else anyway as the HH seems to be lacking in the wireless range and reliability, ended up using my old Netgear 834pn as a WAP. I've investigated a few alternatives and will decide on one shortly.

Speeds are great, get the full download speed, just over 76Mbps, although upload ranges from 10Mbps-15Mpbs, I was expecting better, but I don't upload much, so not to fussed at the moment.

All in all it was a smooth operation, down time was minimal and I'm impressed with the speed.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 02-Jun-13 15:07:42
Print Post

Re: Installed infinity 2

[re: MerlinSuSE] [link to this post]

If the tests were on the BT tester, try the Thinkbroadband one. It gives more accurate upload results.
Some people have reported that rebooting the HomeHub (NOT the modem) can improve upload speed.

But if it is enough anyway, maybe don't bother.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User MerlinSuSE
(regular) Sun 02-Jun-13 23:16:39
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Ok, tried the thinkbroadband one and got a much improved upload over 18Mbps, so happy with that. Thanks for the tip.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User thar
(experienced) Mon 03-Jun-13 07:52:29
Print Post

We had a totally different experience to you.

Infinity 2 install was last Tuesday. The engineer left us with no dial tone on the phone and despite being very near the cab, download speeds of 3 Meg! Unfortunately, I wasn't at home for the install so although my other half reported the lack of dial tone, the slow speeds weren't picked up until I got home.

According to the second engineer, the pipe in the local cab was obviously broken. The first engineer had a bad attitude and clearly couldn't be bothered. Checking there is a dial tone on the landline and that the profile is what it should be should be a basic requirement.

I'm happy to say we are now on a 77.44 profile (instead of the 38.44 when the first engineer left!) and download speeds tested on the wholesale checker come in at 75.38 and 16.61.

be*

Edited by thar (Mon 03-Jun-13 07:53:02)

Standard User MerlinSuSE
(regular) Mon 03-Jun-13 16:14:12
Print Post

[re: thar] [link to this post]

I think there will always be good and bad. The engineer that did mine specifically asked me to check all the phones for dial tones.

At least your sorted now.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Jun-13 16:24:41
Print Post

upload tests be aware are often limited by the send buffer, rather than the isp.

also if you have a HG modem, it is defaulted to enable QoS which shaves around 10% of the upload throughput, it can be disabled if you unlock the modem, ECI modems dont have this problem.

A good idea of the upload performance is using the NL based ookla server on speedtest.net. I dont know how high they set the send buffer but its high enough to get full throughput even when interleaved so seems significantly higher than what the BTw tester and all the uk speedtest.net sites use.

To give you an idea of the impact of the send buffer if I send a large email using outlook 2007, I get just get around 2mbit or so of throughput, in 2007 when they designed that app I suspect typical upload speeds were much lower so they probably hard coded a low buffer size into it. however if upload a file via ftp to the same server I host my email on (after configuring a high tcp buffer in ftp client), I get my full 20mbit sec speeds.

The amount of tcp buffer required for full throughput depends on the latency, so eg. a interleaved line will need more buffering for full speed than a fast path line. Many legacy apps eg. use a 4k or 8k bufer which is very inadequate for a high speed FTTC connection. LAN based transfers dont suffer due to the extremely low latency.

also to add if you have eg. windows vista/win7/win8 and disable the tcp auto tuning, this also puts a cap on the upload buffer size.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 03-Jun-13 16:25:30)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Jun-13 16:29:48
Print Post

pipe in local cab?

wonder what that is and how it can more than halve your sync speed.

Standard User thar
(experienced) Mon 03-Jun-13 17:54:40
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I'm only repeating what my other half was told. No idea what it means?

be*
Standard User thar
(experienced) Mon 03-Jun-13 17:56:11
Print Post

I realise that. Yes, I'm just happy it didn't take the estimated 3 days to resolve, no drama.

be*
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Jun-13 20:01:20
Print Post

I got no idea sorry.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to