User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Jun-13 11:39:29
Print Post

HH4 upstairs to downstairs signal?

[link to this post]

Would switching to dual band give me better signals downstairs from an upstairs hub if I upgrade? My line comes in on the first floor for historic reasons but we often use broadband downstairs on laptops and get the dreaded buffering on iPlayer etc. All my computers have the required card, by the way. Or shall I try the power socket system? Ethernet gives 65 Mb/s+ so the line is good.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
VM 120Mb/s (using Ethernet)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Jun-13 12:01:06
Print Post

Re: HH4 upstairs to downstairs signal?

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
Would switching to dual band give me better signals downstairs from an upstairs hub if I upgrade? My line comes in on the first floor for historic reasons but we often use broadband downstairs on laptops and get the dreaded buffering on iPlayer etc. All my computers have the required card, by the way. Or shall I try the power socket system? Ethernet gives 65 Mb/s+ so the line is good.

Give it a go - all house construction is different, and 5 GHz signals can work through some materials and not others, completely different to 2.4 GHz. Don't be surprised if its great in the same room as the router, but slower than 2.4 in other rooms.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
  Print Thread

Jump to