User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scopio
(member) Sat 29-Jun-13 19:53:35
Print Post

Has BT gone bananas?

[link to this post]

A friend of mine signed up for BT Telephone and Broadband about a year ago. At first she was on the Broadband 16 Mbps up and 10 Gb usage, after getting notice that she had gone over the 10 Gb usage she upgraded to the 40Gb, which as I understand, it is now Unlimited. Question is why has she received another notice (by email no-reply) that she has used 28Gb of her 40Gb usage for June and she could be charged £5 for every 5Gb she goes over the top AND to upgrade to the Unlimited package? I thought the 40Gb usage is now the Unlimited package which as I said before she has already upgraded to!

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 7 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13669...
http://speedtest.net/result/2668600210.png
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Jun-13 20:15:16
Print Post

Re: Has BT gone bananas?

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

AIUI, as with most ISPs, although the unlimited packages replace otherwise identical ones except for the removal of the usage caps, it is necessary to upgrade to the replacement. That upgrade normally restarts whatever minimum term applies.

It doesn't happen automatically.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Jun-13 20:48:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sounds like the OP's friend is on BT Total Broadband Option 2 with a 40GB allowance. As you say, she will stay on it until she decides to change packages.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scopio
(member) Sat 29-Jun-13 21:50:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
AIUI, as with most ISPs, although the unlimited packages replace otherwise identical ones except for the removal of the usage caps, it is necessary to upgrade to the replacement. That upgrade normally restarts whatever minimum term applies.

It doesn't happen automatically.

Thatís where the confusion lies, my friend and myself thought that the upgrade would happen automatically! Thanks for the clarification.

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 7 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13669...
http://speedtest.net/result/2668600210.png
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 30-Jun-13 12:01:11
Print Post

BT must have gone bananas. Look at what it has reduced people to for phoning. http://www.drpalfi.co.uk/page4.htm

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Jun-13 12:54:12
Print Post

On almost any company upgrades are not automatic. You sign up to 40gb, that's what you get.

Any changes are new customers only / upgrade required

It's worth ringing BT and getting upgraded though I'm sure
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jul-13 15:02:31
Print Post

Is there a confusion between packages? The 40GB package will be limited to 40GB.

Are you thinking perhaps of one of the 40Mb packages (ie speed of 40Mb) with unlimited?

Not sure why you would think a 40GB package is unlimited when it is called "40GB". The only way is confusion as above between speed and allowance (for example BT Infinity 1 is a 40Mb/s speed with a 40GB usage allowance whereas Unlimited Infinity 1 is 40Mb/s speed with unlimited usage).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jul-13 16:52:56
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Is there a confusion between packages? The 40GB package will be limited to 40GB.
I don't read that confusion! The confusion the OP is in is that they misunderstood that the 40 GB package would be updated to Unlimited auto when BT removed the limits.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Jul-13 08:39:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry, think I did misread it.

So, BT changed the 40GB package to unlimited. I am assuming that maybe BT do the same as many others and keep the legacy packages until such a time as someone requests switching to the new package which then likely starts a new contract period?
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jul-13 09:59:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The 40GB usage package is still offered as an existing product. Not seen anything from BT about them upgrading that product to unlimited usage.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to