User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jnrwd
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-13 11:11:32
Print Post

BT Order and Install Problems

[link to this post]

Just posting in the hope someone can help resolve the issues with a recent order if anyone from BT is lurking!

I've been with other ISPs for a long time but with an imminent house move I've opted for BT which so far seems like a big mistake. Line and broadband went live on Friday but speed was poor and when I plugged a phone in the noise on the line was horrendous. Reported this as a fault which seemed to be worked on during Sunday as line outside house had equipment connected.

Cannot get a straight answer from BT as to where the fault is at, one person says wait until Thursday, another says I've cancelled the broadband, another says the order has not been placed correctly and they will fix it in under 2 hours and another says its sorted. Spent several hours on the phone over the past 4 days and been passed between numerous departments who are all blaming each other, its a nightmare just to connected to a supervisor who then says its an order issue and not a tech issue.

So I've got a working phone now (without noise) but no broadband, an online billing account that does not work, a BT email login that does not work and BT privacy requested for free caller display which has also not been provided.

End of rant! I'm giving it 24 hours before cancelling and trying someone with decent customer service who can respond to customer problems.

Hope my experience of the customer service is not the usual with faults and order issues.
Cheers,
Jason
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-13 11:52:06
Print Post

Re: BT Order and Install Problems

[re: jnrwd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jnrwd:
So I've got a working phone now (without noise) but no broadband, an online billing account that does not work, a BT email login that does not work and BT privacy requested for free caller display which has also not been provided.

A friend of mine signed up to BT recently. BT did not supply BT Privacy with caller display despite it being ordered, it was added post-activation via live chat. The online billing also kept saying "website is undergoing maintenance, check back later" for days. Again, this was reported via live chat and fixed within 24 hours (the impression I got from live chat is that this is a common, and fixable issue). Email login started working when an "order completed" email was sent post-activation. The password was sent in plain text (same password as My BT).

Hopefully your issues can be rectified as my friend's were.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-13 13:04:50
Print Post

Track a fault often tells you where fault is and its progress.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnb2008
(learned) Wed 10-Jul-13 00:12:26
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I signed up to Infinity 2 last march and had similar problems, spending hours on the phone being passed from pillar to post. I was on the point of cancelling too. Fortunately one of the BT mods on this site picked up on my case and sorted all of the problems.

BT's telephone support is a total shambles, but the BT mods on this site seem to be able to cut through it all and sort out the issues. They must have a frustrating job trawling through the chaos and fixing the trail of destruction that the telephone support shower create!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Jul-13 01:27:47
Print Post

[re: johnb2008] [link to this post]

They've posted here only 20 times in the last 12 months. The latest was 23 April.

I suggest the BT in-house forum may be a better place for the OP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jnrwd
(newbie) Thu 11-Jul-13 10:07:04
Print Post

Thankfully the phone line and broadband are now sorted. I'm just trying to resolve a speed issue now. I'm syncing up at just over 8mb but only getting 2mb, the BT wholesale checker has confirmed the ip profile on my line is 2mb which I'm now trying to sort.

The BT technical support are a nightmare, I've been on the phone for 30+ minutes explaining I can see the IP profile on the line is set at 2mb and this is causing the problem but the tech support refuse to listen and blame my equipment, the time of day, variable speed tests, anything but actually listen to what is being said as I suspect they do not understand.

I can honestly say I'm shocked by the quality of the phone support from BT I've been very disappointed with it, they just do not understand what you are saying!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Jul-13 10:17:57
Print Post

If you have a 448 Kbps upstream/upload connection speed reported by your router, then you are probably on the older style of ADSL service, which runs at only up to 8Mbps and where the IP Profile was slower to react to speed changes.

This old system takes between a couple of hours and five days to raise the IP Profile, but it used to get stuck at 2 Mbps sometimes, and needed a prod via the support staff. Need to wait five days to be sure that its stuck though.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Jul-13 14:08:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by jnrwd:
I can honestly say I'm shocked by the quality of the phone support from BT I've been very disappointed with it, they just do not understand what you are saying!

When I first switched to BT, the line was stuck on 448kbps upload (ADSL1). I found the best route to get service is via BT's own forums. The main posters on there will give a direct link to the forum mods who seem to have a good working relationship with whoever it is fixes these issues.

John.

RouterStatsHub Beta Line monitoring tool for the Home Hub 3

ISP:BT (4.5Mbps)
Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Thu 11-Jul-13 21:18:58
Print Post

Re: No tech problems, but didn't cut a good impression

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

The technical side has gone well for me, and I've gone from approx 3.5MBPS on AOL to 12.1 on BT. When it works, it clearly works well. However, the whole process (and BT's mybt site) all seem a bit disjointed, inspiring no confidence over up until the cutover. I hope dealing with BT as a customer is not going to be as bad as dealing with them as a supplier frown (now that was scary).
Standard User jnrwd
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 15:23:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice with regards the time taken on the ip profile. It has been 6 days now still stuck at 2mb, home hub is reporting connection at 7.938 mbps, and the ip profile being reported by BT wholesale checker is 2mb. I've tried calling the BT tech support but they insist on running lots of test etc rather than listening to my comments about the ip profile. I even requested to speak to a supervisor 3 times only to be told they cannot help as my line is running at the max speed it can. Any suggestions how to convey this to BT to actually get something done about it?
Cheers,
Jason
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to