User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Pete8five6
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 18:23:17
Print Post

Connection drop out

[link to this post]

Further to my post regarding profile speed, does anyone know what diagnostics an electrician can run in my house to try to figure out what is causing my broadband to drop out? It's dropped about ten times in the last hour. Not the wireless bit, but the connection from the hub to the internet. It seems most electricians don't know broadband and BT engineers just check the BT wiring (fair enough).

Thanks,
Pete
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jul-13 18:37:42
Print Post

Re: Connection drop out

[re: Pete8five6] [link to this post]

I had an odd drop out today (and in the we small hours).

Think it may be a BT issue - the HH was seeing two internet connections, on on one off. Had to reboot.

Standard User Pete8five6
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 18:50:48
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I'm sure there's a problem at my end. e.g. turning on the overhead LEDs above the computer knocks the connection out and I'm sure the washing machine in the room next door is guiilty too. Neither are the culprit today though so it must be a deeper problem.

There seems to be a lot of anecdotal stuff re: connection drop out. One lady in the Exeter help centre reckoned her hair dryer made her hub drop out.

I've got solar PV, but there seems to be no real evidence that it causes problems, but I'm not sure what else it could be.

Pete

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Jul-13 20:21:01
Print Post

You need more of an rf engineer than electrician

Quick way is battery am radio and wander around home to see what is giving of the most noise. Turn that off and see what effect it has

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pete8five6
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 14:05:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just in case anyone with a dropout problem is looking for answers and finds this thread, I seem to have solved my problem.

There is a double electric socket right next to my BT socket. I was using them to plug in both the BT hub and a cordless phone base station. Both plugs have built in transformers. When I did the MW radio trick I found an unbelievable amount of noise from these plugs. I've now plugged them in on the other side of the room and the connection has remained stable ever since and speed has also recovered.

Just goes to show how fragile the broadband connection can be.

Pete
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jul-13 14:08:31
Print Post

Good news, and thanks for reporting back.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to