User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AdamBrunt
(committed) Wed 10-Jul-13 22:08:39
Print Post

BT Home Hub 4 - only Win7 laptop can connect wirelessly

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

My BT Infinity connection started today and in the main everything is working fine with one major exception.

My Win7 laptop is the only wireless device able to connect via wifi. Everything else (smart phones, nexus 7, etc) all say they can connect but then go through an "authenticating ... obtainining IP address" endless loop without actually connecting.

If I connect via DHCP then I get the "obtaining IP address" loop, but if I change the connection to static then it thinks the default IP address of the phone is 192.168.1.254 even though I have changed the Home Hub to be on 192.168.0.xxx ?

Is there some obvious setting on the hub I haven't set or turned on ?

TIA for any help.

Regards,

Adam Brunt

Edited by AdamBrunt (Wed 10-Jul-13 23:02:44)

ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Fri 12-Jul-13 10:18:27
Print Post

Re:BT Home Hub 4 - only Win7 laptop can connect wirelessly

[re: AdamBrunt] [link to this post]

Hi Adam,

Take a look at http://bit.ly/1btY20H for a few tips on how to set up your wireless connection with the Hub 4.

Give it a try and let me know if you are still having problems.

Thanks

Paddy
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User athegn
(committed) Fri 12-Jul-13 16:03:00
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

I am having this problem with my HTC Desire - single band so changing SSID for other band will not help.

Any other advice?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jul-13 16:21:52
Print Post

Re: BT Home Hub 4 - only Win7 laptop can connect wirelessly

Best thing to do.

Hold a pin in the reset button of the homehub. Leave all of the settings unchanged once it's reset.
Try to connect everything.

If things will not connect after the reset you have a faulty hub. In this case call BT and get it swapped. There should be no need to change the settings, but there's always the exception.

It COULD be that the 5ghz band has such bad signal that your devices are not connecting properly.
To test this do the following:

To change the Hub 4 SSID name:
Open your web browser on a device connected to the Hub and go to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub manager
Click on Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted. The default password can be found on the label on the back of the Hub
Click on Continue to Advanced Settings
Click on Wireless then 5GHz
Change the "Wireless SSID" to a new name
Click Apply to save the changes

Now try to connect to the original name, not the one you just created. This will force it to 2.4ghz.

Now standing next to the router, try to connect to your 5ghz network. If it will not work it means faulty router. The router isn't broadcasting 5ghz properly. Get it swapped. Even if it works on 2.4 it should also work on 5 in close proximity to the router.

It sounds to me as if DHCP is not functioning on the router for whatever reason. Once one PC is online that's it.

Resetting the hub will break your BTWiFi and BTFon connections. If you use this to get it back do the following:

You need to head over here https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do;jsessionid=...
Opt out of BT Wifi.
Then re-login, via the link above. Select Opt in. This retriggers the BTWiFi and BTFon to work.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 12-Jul-13 16:25:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 13-Jul-13 21:54:57
Print Post

Re: BT Home Hub 4 - only Win7 laptop can connect wirelessly

In reply to a post by AdamBrunt:
If I connect via DHCP then I get the "obtaining IP address" loop, but if I change the connection to static then it thinks the default IP address of the phone is 192.168.1.254 even though I have changed the Home Hub to be on 192.168.0.xxx ?

Is there some obvious setting on the hub I haven't set or turned on ?
I don't know the Home Hub itself, but I would think it possible that you haven't changed the range it can allocate to the LAN properly. I've happily changed a Buffalo in the past, but a Technicolor 582N needs a very specific sequence following. Maybe the HH does as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 14-Jul-13 16:33:55
Print Post

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

turn off any encryption first, to see if it gets an IP address etc.

If it does, but doesn't with encryption, then change the encryption flavour. I find the "dual mode" WPA / WPA2 settings unreliable in general, set it to WPA2 if that's no good then WPA if available.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to