User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tthom
(regular) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:35:32
Print Post

How unlimited are BT

[link to this post]

I just ordered BT unlimited ADSL and I am just wondering how they are for there unlimited downloads and speed

I am asking because I regard myself as a heavy user with streaming and downloading alot of stuff I was with BE before but due to circumstances I had to get rid of all internet for a few months, I never had any issues with downloading too much on BE but very wary with BT

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jul-13 19:13:19
Print Post

Re: How unlimited are BT

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

You really really should be thinking the other way around.

BE had a network that was essentially left to rot. They didn't invest heavily enough which meant in the areas where slowdowns occurred upgrades did not. Instead of upgrading equipment in these areas BE sent out warning letters to high users connected to these exchanges asking them to reduce usage & eventually disconnecting them.

The lack of investment is why o2 and BE did not offer fibre services - the network wasn't upto the job. Nowhere near.

On the contrary BT has heavily invested in their network so that they can offer fibre services via BT infinity. This has meant that the network can now handle much much more than it could a few years ago. It also means that those engaging in heavy torrenting and heavy downloading isn't really an issue as the network can handle this much better than before. So BT are able to offer truly unlimited without the network suffering too much.

You will have no problems.
Standard User partial
(member) Fri 12-Jul-13 21:21:45
Print Post

BE didn't have a network of their own. The kit in the exchange was leased. The links from the exchanges were rented circuits from telcos . It didn't scale, it was never meant to scale, it was meant to get customers and sell the customers.

BT is a telco with a monster backbone. You'll be fine.

Edited by partial (Fri 12-Jul-13 21:23:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Jul-13 23:15:29
Print Post

BT unlimited is now truly unlimited, and they seem to have the capacity to handle all the heavy downloaders. There have been few reports to the contrary on these forums, other than the occasional genuine problem connection - surprisingly few given the millions of connections they have.

By comparison, Be and O2 for the few months before the Sky purchase of them seem to have been a nightmare.

Relax and enjoy smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User davetel
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 00:32:44
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
The kit in the exchange was leased.

Who did they rent from? Who has it now as some resellers are offering O2 Wholesale connections.

Edited by davetel (Sat 13-Jul-13 00:33:09)

Standard User tthom
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 11:49:47
Print Post

Thanks for the feedback guys laugh looking forward to getting it activated smile

Especially with the 3 network issue in my area cant use my phone as a tether backup

Print Thread

Jump to