User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User seank1990
(learned) Tue 16-Jul-13 09:05:17
Print Post

Best Dual BAND ROUTER

[link to this post]

I have BT Infinity but want a dual band router and have come across this Netgear N750 which would be good for gaming and good signal but would this be compatible with BT Infinity and do i still need to use the BT Openreach modem the little white box that is connected to the bt hub
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Jul-13 09:35:43
Print Post

Re: Best Dual BAND ROUTER

[re: seank1990] [link to this post]

Gigabit ethernet WAN port so should work

You still need the openreach modem, later in the year the requirements will change and combined VDSL2 modem/routers should become available and cheaper too. So might be worth waiting a little while

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Tue 16-Jul-13 09:52:23
Print Post

Keep in mind that the "Dual Band" will only be effective if your PC/Laptop is also equipped with "Dual Band" WiFi - unlikely if of any "age".

--------------------

Theoretically, unless the Dual Band Router and similarly equipped PC Laptop have some form of increased Power Level (unlikely given the Legal Conditions applying to the use of the WiFi Bands), that the higher the frequency, ie 5 GHz compared with 2.4 GHz, the shorter the distance covered and probably greater attenuation due to building structures, device location etc.

As an extreme example, the BBC World Service and such-like were transmitted on Very Low Frequencies (Long Wave), around 500 KHz, to achieve "world coverage", as Higher Frequencies (Short Wave, VHF, UHF) could not do so to any extent. (Yes - I did manage to receive Australian TV in the VHF Band once).

Hopefully someone with practical experience of a proper Dual Band Network will comment.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 10:21:49
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Keep in mind that the "Dual Band" will only be effective if your PC/Laptop is also equipped with "Dual Band" WiFi - unlikely if of any "age".

--------------------

Currently have a 7 year old laptop with 5GHz capability! Old cheap ones may not have, but higher spec ones have had 5GHz for a long time.

The OP does need to check or get a suitable dongle!

But then it is wanted for Gaming! I always understood that wireless was not the best connection for gaming!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Tue 16-Jul-13 10:53:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks - must check my two!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 17:47:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Including the BT Home Hub 5.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Jul-13 20:24:37
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Theoretically, unless the Dual Band Router and similarly equipped PC Laptop have some form of increased Power Level (unlikely given the Legal Conditions applying to the use of the WiFi Bands), that the higher the frequency, ie 5 GHz compared with 2.4 GHz, the shorter the distance covered and probably greater attenuation due to building structures, device location etc.

The sad real world is the majority of the equipment sold doesn't even transmit close to the maximum power level, or give any end-user adjustment.

The Asus RT-N66U is a good value for money dual band router and it has a power output adjustment, set so you can't exceed the legal limits in the country sold - but also you can lower your output If you don't need it so high (e.g. in blocks of flats).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Jul-13 20:29:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by seank1990:
I have BT Infinity but want a dual band router and have come across this Netgear N750 which would be good for gaming and good signal but would this be compatible with BT Infinity and do i still need to use the BT Openreach modem the little white box that is connected to the bt hub

It's really worth bearing in mind that 5Ghz travels a much smaller distance over 2.4ghz. In my setup I found 5Ghz gave me half the range of 2.4 and 5Ghz was only faster through 1 wall. Once I hit two walls 2.4 was significantly better signal and quicker.

Also it's worth checking that your device supports 5ghz. Most laptops don't as they meet the N specification at 2.4ghz only.
Standard User challinor
(regular) Tue 23-Jul-13 16:47:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Mr Saffron. I was thinking of upgrading my router, but I will hold off.

I really want one where I can control what DNS servers it uses, as I have filters on OpenDNS that make sense for me.
  Print Thread

Jump to