User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-13 08:24:53
Print Post

Using own router as welll as the Home Hub?

[link to this post]

If I wanted to use my own suitable router with my BT Infinity connection could I connect the Home Hub to that to still provide a BT wi-fi hotspot for the convenience of my guests and anyone else within range?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 17-Jul-13 08:29:47
Print Post

Re: Using own router as welll as the Home Hub?

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

The Homehub would have to be connected to the modem, and then you could put the new router into the DMZ.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-13 08:32:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ta. Would that still allow BT TV/Sports multicast to work from the modem through the HH to my own router to a BT Youview box? Assuming my own router is multicast capable of course.

Edited by gomezz (Wed 17-Jul-13 08:35:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Jul-13 08:39:25
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

It might

Why a second router anyway? If for wireless then a wireless access point would be better

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Wed 17-Jul-13 09:23:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As Mr Saffron says, a wireless access point would do. If you already have a router then you can probably set it up to act as a switch/access point; basically turn off its DHCP server functionality. (In fact, I'm just about to do exactly that with an old router to ensure a good signal in the garden.)

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-13 10:43:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have no current need to do anything other than just use my HH as is. Wireless is fine, ethernet is fine. But seeing so many others wanting to change for "something better" I just wanted to investigate my options.

Print Thread

Jump to