User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JDF101
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 21:31:49
Print Post

BT Not Accepting MAC Code

[link to this post]

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can give me any advice on how to get round this problem I have signing up to BT Infinity. My current ISP is O2 (or Sky as it now), just over two weeks ago I signed up to BT Infinity on the BT website - at that point I did not have a MAC code though BT said that was not a problem and I could subsequently add it to the order later. I then called O2 who said they would send out my MAC code by email which they did the following day - the email stated that there would be a charge if used within seven days. I checked with BT who said "no problem - just add it to your order next week".

Next week came and I duly entered the MAC on the order form on the BT website except all that would happen was the MAC code field would just blank itself out after clicking the Continue button. Time to ring BT I thought, "we'll enter it for you" - only problem was they had the same issue "Never mind - this happens from time to time, I'll put you through to our Exceptions team" Unfortunately they still couldn't get their system to accept it so they then decided it must be an invalid code.

Back to O2 who couldn't see why it was not accepted so I asked if they could issue another - they did and it came the next day. So I went to my order on BT website and yes you guessed it the same problem occurred, I rang them up and again BT staff could not get their system to accept the code - "Its O2 giving out bad MAC codes - contact them for another one" was the reply. So I did and a helpful chap followed it up and he also contacted BT Openreach who confirmed to him that the MAC code was valid and he couldn't see any reason why BT Retail could not accept it on their system!!

Called BT again where I suggested they contact Openreach "Oh I can't do that - it's definitely an O2 problem". At this point I am close to tearing my hair out - can anyone suggest how to get round this issue?

Many thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 28-Jul-13 21:51:24
Print Post

Re: BT Not Accepting MAC Code

[re: JDF101] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JDF101:
... so they then decided it must be an invalid code.

Back to O2 who couldn't see why it was not accepted so I asked if they could issue another - they did and it came the next day.
No, they didn't. They couldn't get one to issue unless either:

- the 30-day validity of the first one had expired;
- the first one had been submiitted to Openreach with a migration order.

The Openreach system issues the MACs in the first place and their system will not issue another until one of the two conditions above arises.

(Have you checked they aren't the same?)

If you are typing in or reading out the MACs, are you sure you have all O versus 0 correct? If you are copy and pasting from an email then make sure you have no leading or trailing spaces in the box before you submit it.

As for a way forward, if the first order does exist, but with no MAC, get it deleted. Then start again with whatever the current online offer and cashback is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User JDF101
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 23:57:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying Roberto, quite right there has not been 30 days since the original MAC was issued and other than submitting the MAC to BT no other migration order from myself would have been submitted to Openreach (though I did wonder whether it would be accepted by a different ISP if I tried). In answer to your question (have I checked whether they were the same?) no - actually I hadn't though I did think they were similar at the time - I've checked the emails sent and yes they ARE the same (although when the second email was sent the expiry date has now changed to a later date).

There was only one 0 in the code (definitely 0 and not O). I will look to getting the first order deleted and trying again tomorrow - I'll let you know if I get any further.

many thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jul-13 05:05:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by JDF101:
the email stated that there would be a charge if used within seven days.

Although this is not relevant to your basic question, I will make one small clarification!

O2's "7 days" is NOT between receiving the MAC & then giving it to another ISP - it is between receiving the MAC & the actual date of transfer. In other words, you can pass the MAC onto an ISP at any time, as long as the transfer is more than 7 days from the MAC issue!

As I said, this does NOT have anything to do with your question, but this is an issue that has caused quite a lot of confusion in the past!

Regards,
John
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 07:38:05
Print Post

I would like to add to this thread that I am sure O2 are creating invalid MAC Keys, on purpose or otherwise.

Since the O2 announcement of sell-off, not one day (literally) has gone by when we have not received an order from an O2/Be customer, where the MAC Key supplied in invalid or does not match the PSTN number it's raised against.

We even have 2-3 customers, who have now been given invalid MAC Key for 3 months running, with one just deciding to cease his line and reorder a new service with us.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jul-13 14:02:28
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

That's bad! Case for OFCOM?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 29-Jul-13 14:42:59
Print Post

were you fully unbundled before ? Sky or TT take people on without MACs at all, so if BT were able to start an order without one I wonder if they need one anyway.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-13 16:39:37
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

It may be possible if they invoke a lost/missing tag procedure, i.e. how to cope with a broadband provider that is not following by the rules and trying to hang onto a line against the rules.

From what has been said, sounds more like a call centre where people are aware their jobs have a limited lifetime, so maybe don't care anymore.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Thribble
(member) Mon 29-Jul-13 18:14:26
Print Post

I had same problem when I left BE(o2) Back in April

BT Retail would not get the MAC to work BE cust serv checked it said it 1 issued

In the end I had yo cancel my BT order , BE then did a cease on my line and after 24hrs I was able to reorder with BT

I was only 2 days without net as BT put me on ADSL till fibre was ready

BT Infinity 2 @ 74.97/17.65 Mbits
VM 100MB @ 106Mbits
Standard User coyrls
(committed) Mon 29-Jul-13 18:19:03
Print Post

[re: Thribble] [link to this post]

Just to say that this experience is not universal; the MAC code issued to me by O2 and used with BT Infinity worked for me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to