User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andysm
(member) Sun 11-Aug-13 12:08:41
Print Post

Should I lose WiFi connection when DHCP lease expires?

[link to this post]

I run windows 8 on a laptop and use Wifi to connect to a BT HH3. Several times I have lost my WiFi connection when the DHCP lease is renewed, it happened again just a few minutes ago. It usually reconnects after about 0.5-1 minute. Skype IM sessions stop working and attempts to open a web page result in a pause and an error message indicating I am not connected to the internet. The WiFi connection shows zero signal strength. Is this normal? I though DHCP lease renewals were supposed to be transparent to the user? Once WiFi has reconnected I look at the HH DHCP page and that shows a remaining lease of 23:59 for the laptop (as expected).
P.S. The HH is set to always use same IP address for the laptop.

Edited by andysm (Sun 11-Aug-13 12:10:00)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Aug-13 14:35:31
Print Post

Re: Should I lose WiFi connection when DHCP lease expires?

[re: andysm] [link to this post]

I have similar issues. You can change it to only renew once every 21 days in the hh3 settings at 192.168.1.254

I've not seen this issue in a while now (probably because when it renews I'm not online) whereas when it was daily I saw it once or twice a week

My wireless didn't drop but I had to disconnect and reconnect to the wifi to make it work again.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 11-Aug-13 14:36:06)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-13 15:39:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by andysm:
Is this normal? I though DHCP lease renewals were supposed to be transparent to the user?

They normally are. Could you be running firewall software that is blocking DHCP renewal ?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/10 - Sync 54 / 11 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andysm
(member) Sun 11-Aug-13 20:06:49
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I'm using the firewall that is part of Norton Internet Security 2013.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Aug-13 20:40:13
Print Post

They normally are but the homehub does have its issues especially with this. At least mine does!
Never had an issue previously on any other router.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-13 22:38:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by andysm:
I'm using the firewall that is part of Norton Internet Security 2013.

Don't know it but it sounds like its blocking DHCP renewal. Happens a lot with over zealous security programs frown

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/10 - Sync 54 / 11 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Mon 12-Aug-13 12:39:26
Print Post

if you loose the connection, then of course on re-connection dhcp will get the address again.
need to find why the connection is dropping
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Aug-13 14:02:25
Print Post

I'm going to change it back to 1 day and try to figure it out. I'm using macs so no security software conflicting here. Perhaps my HH is faulty.
Standard User andysm
(member) Mon 12-Aug-13 14:21:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Happened again a couple of hours ago. Lost WiFi and clicked on the Windows 8 troubleshooting link that appears on the WiFi connection. W8 said it had fixed some problems with the WiFi connection but did not say what the problems were. After it had reconnected I noticed that I had a new 24 hour lease, even though the previous lease should not have expired since it was less than 24 hours since the last lease was granted, the laptop was turned off overnight. Wondering now if it is a problem with my laptop.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Aug-13 14:29:59
Print Post

Does it do it on any other device? For me it's every device. I do not lose the wireless signal though, it stays full signal but doesn't work for a while at renewal time. Either I disconnect from WiFi and reconnect or wait it out for a few minutes. It's only on the HH I have this but perhaps my HH is faulty.

What wireless card does your laptop have?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 12-Aug-13 14:30:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to