User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Sep-13 18:58:20
Print Post

unable to make head nor tail of the BT website

[link to this post]

I would like Bt Infinity 1 (unlimited), plus to be able to watch the 'free' BT sports channels on our TV rather than streamed online. So one needs a BT Vision+ Box right? Does one also need to pay the 5£ a month subscription for BT TV? I see no option to order a box without the extra subscription charges of BT TV. And if one is able to order a box on top of the BT infinity package, how much is it? Any other charges I should be aware of? Also, is there any good websites to order from for deals? Sorry for the newbie questions, but I don't appear to have the intelligence required to decipher their website.

Edit: and how are the sports channel received? Streamed through the internet connection, or through the aerial?

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!

Edited by imbsuk (Sun 15-Sep-13 19:01:43)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Sep-13 19:36:45
Print Post

Re: unable to make head nor tail of the BT website

[re: imbsuk] [link to this post]

The basic £5 channel package means you avoid paying the 299 retail price of the settop box.

Bt sport if you have bt tv and infinity is over Internet, well a small bit of it.

You can add bt sport to any freeview box for free if you dont want hd or just watch the web based app.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Mon 16-Sep-13 16:38:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You can add bt sport to any freeview box for free if you dont want hd or just watch the web based app.

Add it to a bt freeview box perhaps. But generic freeview boxes will list the channels but they will be encrypted and have no way to unencrypt them. I can see them on my tv but when I looked on Bt's website it said "you may see the channels on other boxes but you can only decrypt them on a bt box". And a sky box of course if you have a subscription.

Possibly you could connect a laptop to a tv using the tv out cable and put the online web version on your tv like that if you have the right bits? Though not very elegant.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alwall
(member) Mon 16-Sep-13 17:41:23
Print Post

[re: imbsuk] [link to this post]

If you have Infinity and Bt Sports, the BT Youview box will be enabled to receive the streamed sports channels.
The BTVision box is only required if you need to de-encrypt the DTT ("Freeview") signal because you only have ADSL. See the BT Forum here

BTBroadband
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Sep-13 19:00:26
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

Ah yes, the joys of the need for an encryption card. Kicks brain.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thar
(experienced) Mon 16-Sep-13 21:10:18
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

You don't actually need a Sky subscription, just a box with a viewing card.

be* -> May 2013 BT Infinity 2 IP Profile 77.44 Mbps D/L 75.38 Mbps U/L 16.61 Mbps
  Print Thread

Jump to