User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Sep-13 17:09:51
Print Post

Internet Cutting off when phone rings

[link to this post]

A BT engineer came out to look at an issue with my broadband speed about 6 weeks ago and all had been fine since. However today during the day the house phone has rung twice and I have not answered it and let it go to voice mail as the number was "international" when this happened on both occasions my broadband has stopped working. Each time the light on the home hub goes to yellow and restarts.

I have not even touched the wiring since the BT engineer came out to the house.... I don't have my sky box connected to the phone line either just the phone and the homehub to the master socket with a microfilter.

Anyone know why this would happen?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Sep-13 17:27:50
Print Post

Re: Internet Cutting off when phone rings

[re: colic] [link to this post]

If this still happens when using the test socket (i.e. none of your other phone sockets work) then the suggestion is a High Resistance fault, which can be hard to find.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Sep-13 19:26:10
Print Post

Just to add to what MrSaffron said you could also try different micro filters or plug the router directly into the test socket with a phone plug to rj11 modem lead. Call in using a mobile and check if the DSL drops (you will hear a dial tone on a mobile even without a phone connected to the micro filter/test socket.)

I had the same problem when on ADSL MAX and demonstrated the problem to a Openreach SFI engineer using software called RouterStatsLite when he came to my home. The router was in the test socket, I made a call to the home number with a mobile and after approx 5 ring tones the DSL would drop due to the SNRM falling to zero on the RouterSatsLite graph. This was caused by a burst of noise and innumerable errors on the line.

The SFI traced the problem to the exchange but unfortunately he was unable to repair the fault on that day. My ISP (Plusnet) and Openreach didn't seem able to fix the fault so after a few weeks I migrated to another ISP and moved to Partial LLU and the incoming phone call issue went away smile

Good luck.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Mon 23-Sep-13 19:53:43
Print Post

If you have DECT phone try changing the phone cable. Also double filter phone
only ie internet to first filter, then second filter into phone socket of first filter and connect phone to phone socket of second filter.
Sometimes works, also cheap to check.
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Sep-13 11:24:41
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Will give it a go, I might just disconnect the phone as thinking about it the only people who ring on the house home are sodding PPI company's are people telling me I have a virus on my pc....
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 24-Sep-13 13:03:13
Print Post

I have a Fritz!Box 7390 modem router which has a DECT base station built in. One of the minor bugs with this particular box is that about once a week I get a phantom telephone call in the early hours which occasionally results in an internet disconnect. I have also had the situation that you describe: i.e., the internet disconnects with an incoming outside call. Many people have raised this with AVM the F!B manufacturer. Their response is as follows:

Ghost calls and DSL disconnects parallel to incoming telephone calls occur
due to electrical impulses. The latter mostly is caused by a wrong cabling
with an analog landline.

Verify that only the DSL splitter is attached to the main telephone socket
and that no other terminal devices (e.g. telephone, fax machines etc.) and
no other telephone sockets (e.g. via extension leads) are connected to the
main socket. Connect any terminal devices to the extensions of the
FRITZ!Box.

Please find our information on the "ghost calls" by clicking on the
following link:

http://service.avm.de/support/en/SKB/FRITZ-Box-7390-...

All that said, I have used double-filtering with some success when I was on an ADSL line. It is important to remember to connect the modem to the first filter and the telephone line to the second.

And finally, I thought that I read something a couple of years ago about BTOR rolling out integrated high resistance fault testing. Did anything come of this as I recall that the success rate was in excess of 90%?
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 24-Sep-13 13:14:44
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:
..about once a week I get a phantom telephone call in the early hours ......

If you have a Sky box carefully check your wiring...........
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Wed 25-Sep-13 10:47:24
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

It's a Fritz bug, the best way to deal with that:

On the Fritz page goto System|Night Service|Do not disturb and put in the hours

then Telephony|Telephone Book and mark anyone that you don't mind calling you through the night (Family etc|) as Important.

I had to change the start time recently because it started the phantom calling between 23:00 and 00:00 but it seems to have reverted to between 03h and 04h again

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Standard User niceboy
(newbie) Wed 25-Sep-13 12:38:36
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

For the fritz!box 7390 problem, why not block all calls incoming that have the number withheld or divert the calls to an answer-phone (there are five on a fritzbox). These calls are almost always caused by automatic testing from the exchange which involves line reversals and disconnections which the fritzbox sees as an incoming call.
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Wed 25-Sep-13 12:54:53
Print Post

[re: niceboy] [link to this post]

Problem with that approach, is that it blocks International calls, and if you have friends abroad or you yourself call home from abroad, it will block those.

Also there are a lot of businesses and agencies that have an automatic do not display number use, and those would also be blocked, not good if you are waiting for a call back from the council regarding a repair etc.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited

Edited by The_Voyager (Wed 25-Sep-13 12:58:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to