User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(learned) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:25:15
Print Post

BT TV with ADSL Only

[link to this post]

I live in a area where (annoyingly) I can see a FTTC cabinet out my window, but in the development I'm in its Exchange only to all 108 properties.

At the moment my ADSL Speed is not bad, syncing about 19mbps with BE.

My plan was to move to BT, take the Unlimited DSL and the TV. I want a Youview box, not the vision plus. I also want BT Sport and the other BT TV packs.

BT's live chat just told me No when I asked, but I'm sure I've seen other say that it is possible to do over a fast enough DSL link.

So I guess what I'd like to know is:

1, Can it be done, BT Sport + TV Packs over DSL

or

2, Can I persuade Openreach to connect my to fibre, either by adding a cab for the whole development, or by paying for FTTPoD. I have searched their site for an email address, but no joy!

Switched to Be* since BT decided I am not getting FTTC!

Might go for 2 bonded lines, speed aint bad at the moment

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2417616320.png
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:27:31
Print Post

Re: BT TV with ADSL Only

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

The email address is nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

What does the checker say? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 29-Sep-13 16:28:05)

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:32:15
Print Post

I've been fighting BT on this for months. I have FTTC cabs all around me and 278 houses on my cab which was added after the rest but BT say we won't be getting it in the distant future.

BT are idiots - I can stream BT vision on 7mbps - as I have done in the past. there';s not a lot 19mbps can't do when it comes to streaming.

"

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User connormill
(learned) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:34:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the email address.

The checker doesn't mention FTTC at all, if I put in the postcode and random house number of a property in the neighbouring development (further away from the cab) it gives a FTTC rate of up to 58mbps

Standard User connormill
(learned) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:37:10
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
I've been fighting BT on this for months. I have FTTC cabs all around me and 278 houses on my cab which was added after the rest but BT say we won't be getting it in the distant future.

BT are idiots - I can stream BT vision on 7mbps - as I have done in the past. there';s not a lot 19mbps can't do when it comes to streaming.

Exactly! TalkTalk are quite happy to sell me their TV, with all the channels provided over a Youview box as long as my DSL is above 5mbps.

I'd rather go with BT, but they may have just forced me to become a talktalk customer!

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:38:06
Print Post

Ah yes, I think you've had this answer before
You are not connected to the cabinet close-by, but are fed directly from the exchange, otherwise known as an Exchange Only line.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User connormill
(learned) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:39:50
Print Post

The slightly more annoying thing is that I know where the trunk line into the development goes! It goes right past the FTTC cab.

Connecting us up to FTTC would be fairy trivial I would imagine!

Just wish they would do it, bet they'd get a fair few customers out of it!

Fairly new flats and 3 bed houses in the city centre of the oil capital of Europe deserve FTTC tongue

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:42:34
Print Post

If it's that easy, you may get some action if you push hard enough up the management structure at BT. www.ceoemail.com may help.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 19:26:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by connormill:
2, Can I persuade Openreach to connect my to fibre, either by adding a cab for the whole development, or by paying for FTTPoD. I have searched their site for an email address, but no joy!
We're in a similar position here. A central London development of 75 properties built in the late 1980s with approaching 100 lines, all EO. All adjacent properties have access to both FTTC and VM. The VM cable runs along the pavement 2-3m in front of the development but VM aren't willing to supply even those 18 properties. Likewise the BT trunking servicing the development and the nearby FTTC cabinet runs under the same pavement.

Unlike VM, BT tell me they're more than happy to carry out the necessary network rearrangement and installation of an FTTC cabinet. The cost quoted was £25K + VAT.

For now at least, BT aren't prepared to consider FTTPoD other than for those who can already get FTTC regardless of the circumstances.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Sep-13 19:55:16
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

The only gotcha is wanting bt sport. Currently only possible on bt tv via fibre due to multicast delivery.

The multicast for adsl2+ is due at some point in future.

The other bt channel options would be available

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to