User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User riko
(newbie) Sat 05-Oct-13 15:53:32
Print Post

Infinity Installation - moving socket

[link to this post]

Infinity is finally available in my area, which was a surprise as the bt checker had been predicting march 2014 as the available date.

After reading some forum posts it seems that the install is very hit or miss depending on whether you get an openreach engineer or a contractor. I would like to have my master socket moved about 3 or 4 metres into a cupboard to hide all the equipment. The cupboard currently already has an extension socket in it. Would a contractor do this? Am I more likely to get a contractor these days or is it random?

Thanks for any help
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Oct-13 16:17:44
Print Post

Re: Infinity Installation - moving socket

[re: riko] [link to this post]

Service level should be the same no matter who turns up.

Make sure when ordering that the Home Wiring Solution is ordered. This means installer will have a kit and importantly allocated time to do job

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User John_D82
(newbie) Sat 05-Oct-13 16:32:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Contractor turned up to install Plusnet fibre and relocated master socket using existing extension wiring without a problem. I did make sure I ordered the Home Wiring Kit so he had the time to sort it out. He did not need to use the actual kit. Everything works fine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User riko
(newbie) Sat 05-Oct-13 16:38:51
Print Post

[re: John_D82] [link to this post]

Thanks! If I am ordering BT infinity online is there an option for home wiring or do i need to call them?

A lot of posts seem to indicate that contractors do a much poorer job but I agree the service level should be the same.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 05-Oct-13 17:08:13
Print Post

[re: riko] [link to this post]

Contractors maybe less inclined to do the more time consuming work as unlike Openreach, they are paid per job done rather than a basic salary for a days/weeks/months work.
  Print Thread

Jump to