User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:01:22
Print Post

Shareholder offers jump in price

[link to this post]

The Shareholder offer of infinity broadband has suddenly jumped from £21 to £25 a month. That's nearly 20% overnight.

I was the same price for over a year and now just three weeks before my contract ends they put it up.... Grrr.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:14:46
Print Post

Re: Shareholder offers jump in price

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
The Shareholder offer of infinity broadband has suddenly jumped from £21 to £25 a month. That's nearly 20% overnight.

I was the same price for over a year and now just three weeks before my contract ends they put it up.... Grrr.

yeah the price increases this year from BT are defenitly inflation busting.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 16:26:40
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

Out of interest how do these shareholder deals work? Is there a minimum amount of shares that need to be owned, or could you say buy one share and be eligible?

Sky Fibre Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Speedchaser
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:05:34
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

I just contacted BT CS and after a bit of a run around finally was put through to BT shareholder shop. The CS stated that to purchase any related equipment /deals all that was required was to be a 'shareholder', he did not state a certain number of shares had to be held. My main question to him was if I held shares in a nominee trading account did that count. He really didn't have a clue I don't think. But after some explanation to him of what a nominee account is (advising him that my account would give me voting rights ) he stated that I would be eligible for these deals.

Edited by Speedchaser (Tue 29-Oct-13 17:07:25)

Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:22:12
Print Post

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

Interesting, thanks.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:32:13
Print Post

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Speedchaser:
I just contacted BT CS and after a bit of a run around finally was put through to BT shareholder shop. The CS stated that to purchase any related equipment /deals all that was required was to be a 'shareholder', he did not state a certain number of shares had to be held. My main question to him was if I held shares in a nominee trading account did that count. He really didn't have a clue I don't think. But after some explanation to him of what a nominee account is (advising him that my account would give me voting rights ) he stated that I would be eligible for these deals.

I believe and am willing to be proved wrong, that "shareholders" means the "holder of shares".
Why else would Barclays, in it's description of nominee share accounts, state "If you prefer to hold shares in your own name (in order to qualify for certain shareholder benefits, for example) you can choose certificated trading."?
Standard User KelvinBridge
(newbie) Tue 29-Oct-13 18:21:12
Print Post

Apparently owing just 1 share in a Brewery gets you half price accommodation !!

https://www.share.com/find-investments/shares/shareh...

or

SHAREHOLDER BENEFIT VOUCHERS
Shareholders who hold over 64 shares are entitled to shareholder benefit vouchers. To request a set of vouchers, please contact Capita Registrars on 0844 855 2327, or email
whitbread@capitaregistrars.com.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 29-Oct-13 18:35:00
Print Post

[re: KelvinBridge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by KelvinBridge:
Apparently owing just 1 share in a Brewery gets you half price accommodation !!

https://www.share.com/find-investments/shares/shareh...

Owing??
Standard User KelvinBridge
(newbie) Tue 29-Oct-13 20:24:17
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Well spotted , were you educated in Scotland :-}
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 22:36:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by _Resonance_:
Out of interest how do these shareholder deals work? Is there a minimum amount of shares that need to be owned, or could you say buy one share and be eligible?

My research says you only need one share to be eligible for bt offers. But nominee accounts (what nearly everyone has) do not count. So you would either buy a paper share certificate (expensive), or an electronic share certificate/crest (fairly expensive) or most likely you would buy some shares using the shareview.co.uk equiniti share dealing service who run the official BT electronic shareholder scheme. This is like having an electronic share certificate but run by BT so you address is private but they know who you are. This would cost about £15 for dealing plus £3.50 for a single share.

So it would cost a minimum of about £20 to become eligible for the scheme from scratch. Its not clear how closely bt checks eligibility but that's what the guides I have read say.

For the adsl offer its now actually more expensive to take the shareholder offer than just taking their regular offer available to everyone.

For the fibre if you are on a bt only telephone exchange its an ok deal but still a pricey option. If you are on an unbundled exchange its not really an exceptional deal and there are many other providers who come to a similar price.

Of course you could buy lots of shares and hope they go up and pay for the broadband! Bt does seem to have the market increasingly sewn up these days but whether there is any money in it is an interesting question...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to