User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:40:29
Print Post

By Vision Youview

[link to this post]

I am currently subscribing to Sky for TV but with the amount of TV I actually watch it isn't worth the money. Nearly everything I watch is available on BT's Youview package and I already have BT Infinity.

If I get BT Youview and sign up to the extra packages (like HD) then the channels are I understand delivered over IPTV via the Infinity connection. I am assuming that the Youview box is able to provide a guide for these channels and that I can record the channels as if they were delivered over the air. Is this correct?
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:38:09
Print Post

Re: By Vision Youview

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You are correct all the way up to asking if these IPTV chanels are recordable which is a feature which is not yet available. It was promised to be available shortly after launch at the start of August and then by the Autumn and now "later this Autumn".

Personally, they need to sort this out before I subscribe but I have until the start of the new MotoGP season next year for them to extract their digit from their fundement.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Oct-13 08:40:45
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Ah, in which case I am not paying for channels if I can't timeshift them (don't watch things live). Stay with sky a while longer then.

Would be nice if BT made this clear as I couldn't find anything to tell me if I could record off the extra channels - I am sure most people, like me, would assume that you could.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Wed 30-Oct-13 12:12:27
Print Post

You seem to have similar needs to ourselves. We bought a Humax recorder (abt £200) to supplement our Freeview and are very pleased with the result. Also watch BT which is piling on every extra you can think of ...

Edited by Malwaremike (Wed 30-Oct-13 12:13:12)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Oct-13 12:31:19
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I'm just getting to that point where £53 a month is just looking like too much for the amount of TV I watch. Cancelling movies would help but even then there are limited numbers of programmes I watch on non-freeview channels (one or two progs on Fox and SyFy).

Vision looked good as I could keep fox and SyFy for much less money. But, if I can't record them then it is useless to me.

Will have to think about my current programme viewing and might switch over to the spare Humax Freeview DVR that I bought about 3 years ago.

Trouble is there is just something compelling about the Sky HD box that keeps me coming back to Sky, I think it may be some sort of gateway drug wink
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Oct-13 13:20:27
Print Post

So, another question.

As I can't currently record from fox, syfy, etc do all the programmes become available on catch up? So, for instance if I wanted to watch the latest episode of Haven would that be availabe on catch up?
(member) Wed 30-Oct-13 16:25:59
Print Post

I should have added that my Humax records HD, and series (provided you tell it to do so!) We did try some of the other channels but there's only so many episodes of Friends, I Love Lucy etc before I pass out. As you say it's like a drug ... sleeping pills zzzzzzz
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Oct-13 16:35:55
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Isn't the question not about what FreeView channels the settop box records,

BUT

What IPTV based channels can it record...does the Humax do that... i.e. let you record catchup channels?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Wed 30-Oct-13 16:47:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, this beyond my pension grade, I record only stuff on the Freeview EPG. Select the prog, Humax asks if you want to record the prog or the whole series. I don't think it does catchup.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Oct-13 16:52:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You need to distinguish between the catch-up channels (iPlayer,ITV Player etc) and the extra channels that BT offer (BT Sport, EPSN and other IPTV channels in the 400/500 range). But at this time neither are recordable.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)

Edited by gomezz (Wed 30-Oct-13 16:52:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to