User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jsmiles
(newbie) Tue 29-Oct-13 20:00:20
Print Post

HH4 for Infinity 2, Asus RT-N66U or HH5 better router?

[link to this post]

Switching from Virgin XXL Cable to Infinity 2, ordered beginning of October so have been sent HH4 for install tomorrow.
As HH5 is shipping talked to BT who will swap HH4 for HH5 for the cost of delivery after install is completed.

I also have an Asus RT-N66U router, so which will of the following will give the best wired and wifi performance (no 802.11ac devices)?
Openreach modem to HH4 to Gigabit Switch with Asus as wireless access point;
Openreach modem to Asus as router;
HH5.

Thanks.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 20:33:53
Print Post

Re: HH4 for Infinity 2, Asus RT-N66U or HH5 better router?

[re: jsmiles] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jsmiles:
Openreach modem to Asus as router;

Don't bother with the homehub.

Just configure the ASUS with PPPoE and username = bthomehub@btbroadband.com
and for the password just put a space.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 29-Oct-13 21:27:23
Print Post

If you get the HH5 then you will be able to answer the question wink

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Oct-13 04:15:24
Print Post

I think HH and asus will be similar as the output on these things is limited by regulation so both are likely to give similar range.

The asus being slightly more espensive etc is likely to give marginally better performance but because the homehub is in millions and millions of homes it's likely to be very reliable . After all I've not unplugged my homehub in months now . I doubt the asus would match this.

So swings and roundabouts I reckon but I'd personally sell the asus as I doubt it's needed.

I bet homehub is the best reliability but asus is slightly faster all in all.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Oct-13 07:50:46
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I think HH and asus will be similar as the output on these things is limited by regulation so both are likely to give similar range.

Except pretty much all routers aren't set to run at maximum wireless output power. The Asus at least has an ability to adjust the output power (within the regulation).

The asus being slightly more espensive etc is likely to give marginally better performance but because the homehub is in millions and millions of homes it's likely to be very reliable . After all I've not unplugged my homehub in months now . I doubt the asus would match this.

I've not unplugged my Asus in months either. I'm not sure 2 people is an accurate statistic.

So swings and roundabouts I reckon but I'd personally sell the asus as I doubt it's needed.
I bet homehub is the best reliability but asus is slightly faster all in all.

I think the Asus is fundamentally the better router as it has many many more options than the HH, but if the OP doesn't require these options then yes the HH will be "good enough".

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Oct-13 08:10:19
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Does the Homehub5 offer BT Wifi/Fon?

The Asus won't wink

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 30-Oct-13 15:53:10
Print Post

the hh5 is decent for a isp supplied router, but its firmware is pretty featureless.

Ironically when I switched back to my asus rt-n16 the wireless on it went haywire and I couldnt connect the f1 app on phone during a race, replugged in my hh5 (as access point not router) and the wireless on that was working fine.

So now I have the hh5 as my wireless access point but using asus as router. Since I am using tomota based firmware, if I fiddle with the wireless settings on it it drops the pppoe connection which I dont want currently and the hh5 has 5ghz as well as a bonus.

Of course your n66u is dual band.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 30-Oct-13 15:54:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

The Asus won't wink

it does but the opt in/out for FON is now handled remotely on a website, so I am curious if one opts in but doesnt have the hh5 plugged in they can still use FON service without sharing FON.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Oct-13 20:13:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

The Asus won't wink

Plug HH in for 10mins, enable, unplug and plug in Asus. I did that over a year ago, and my WiFi still works.

Although I never use it, my 3G/4G signal is much better than the 1 place I found BT WiFi - everywhere else has "The Cloud" around here.

Standard User jsmiles
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-13 20:56:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Just configure the ASUS with PPPoE and username = bthomehub@btbroadband.com
and for the password just put a space.

Thanks for confirming settings, Infinity is up now, ran HH4 for about 10mins went through setup, found it annoying then switched to the Asus.

Seems to be working fine so far.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to