User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 05-Nov-13 16:40:02
Print Post

Is the HH4 a POS ?

[link to this post]

Met one today, lack of diagnostic lights wasn't great. Went to orange a couple of times and had horrible packet loss (<1% to HH, >10% to internet). No line stats on the menu that I could see. ~10M line should be faster but 15 dB SNR margin probably due to HH4 instability.

Changed it for a TP-Link cheapo which seems to work perfectly.

As I see there's now a HH5 was the HH4 a lemon ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Nov-13 16:47:13
Print Post

Re: Is the HH4 a POS ?

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
As I see there's now a HH5 was the HH4 a lemon ?
The built in modem of the HH5 supports VDSL2, so is ready for wires only FTTC.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Nov-13 19:03:01
Print Post

Hey Phil,

the 4 isn't a POS in my book, been using one very nicely since it came out, beat my old 3 hands down, no more wireless issues.

As mentioned, the 5 has a built in VDSL modem as well as an ADSL one, it'll give line stats on VDSL too ! Only come across a couple so far, but all seemed OK.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Nov-13 19:21:02
Print Post

The HH3 I had for review, and still need to look at for wireless speeds. Used to find it impossible to login into the web interface.

Oddly if there was an internet connection available it was fine.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Tue 05-Nov-13 19:55:02
Print Post

The HH4 is miserly in information only shows sync Up/Down ,Time up and usage.
However have found it as reliable as my Surf N300.
No problems with connection or speed.
Big advantage to using HH4 is using Wifi anywhere another HH4 is in use, for free. Invaluable when out and about.
Like all Routers there can be issues with some.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Nov-13 19:56:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
As mentioned, the 5 has a built in VDSL modem as well as an ADSL one, it'll give line stats on VDSL too ! Only come across a couple so far, but all seemed OK.

Does it have a modem only mode? I'm expecting not :-/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Nov-13 21:53:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Not as far as I know.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Nov-13 23:30:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Not as far as I know.

Shame, any new BT Infinity subscriber is a bit stuck if they want to use a different device. Similar situation as Virgin Media found themselves in when they launched an all-in-one device.

Hopefully Openreach can sort out a certification scheme for VDSL modems - bring back the BABT approvals green circle smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Wed 06-Nov-13 09:29:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Not as far as I know.

Shame, any new BT Infinity subscriber is a bit stuck if they want to use a different device. Similar situation as Virgin Media found themselves in when they launched an all-in-one device.

Hopefully Openreach can sort out a certification scheme for VDSL modems - bring back the BABT approvals green circle smile

When ordering Infinity don't you have the option of saying "no router required" and would therefore be supplied with the OR modem to use with whatever hardware suits you?

As an alternative approach, ask for the HH5 to be connected via the WAN socket which would then require the OR modem to be supplied.

Thoughts anyone on this.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-13 10:50:01
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
In reply to a post by jchamier:
Not as far as I know.

When ordering Infinity don't you have the option of saying "no router required" and would therefore be supplied with the OR modem to use with whatever hardware suits you?

As an alternative approach, ask for the HH5 to be connected via the WAN socket which would then require the OR modem to be supplied.

Thoughts anyone on this.

Both versions of the OR modem seem to be available brand new on ebay for around £20 (Got one myself as a backup) so anyone desperately wanting to use their own router could go that, err, route.

John.

RouterStatsHub Beta Line monitoring tool for the Home Hub 3

ISP:BT (Infinity 1 - 37.6/8.4Mbps)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to