User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 08:29:04
Print Post

How slow can it go?

[link to this post]

At work, our ADSL connection synced at approx 6000 kbs for ages. Lately been on a 576 profile with a max download speed of approx 220 kbs (from BT speedtest). The line is noisy in the morning and marginal SNRM is about *28*dB.

We have phoned BT several times who have done nothing. I have a decent ISP at home so am not used to this poor level of service - the account is not mine.. What is the minimum speed that needs to be recorded to force BT into fixing this.

Sorry in advance if I have messed up the units.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 08:40:14
Print Post

Re: How slow can it go?

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

When you say the line is noisy do you mean actual audible noise or ADSL noise? If it is audible then phoning BTs phone support and logging a phone line fault is the best route to take - don't mention broadband at all as it is likely when the phone fault is fixed the broadband will markedly improve (or at least then it will be easier to get them to lift any SNR settings that have been enforced).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Nov-13 08:41:15
Print Post

There is no absolute minimum

Got the full set of router stats just after restarting modem?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 08-Nov-13 10:08:48
Print Post

Install Router Stats lite on a PC and set it running with 30 second updates. Get a couple of 24 hour plots showing Sync Speed and SNR and link to the images.

28dB sounds rather high for an SNR figure ...

Look at the local environment. Is there another company close by that could be the source of electronic noise? I have come across offices which had abysmal performance up until 12:00 - which was when one particular part of their factory was working.

The RSL plots may help with the story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 20:34:25
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It is audible noise on the line.

I'll try and get work to log a phone line fault.

I'll try and get a screen shot of the stats screen when I am next at work.

Tnx,

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 22:49:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

28dB sounds rather high for an SNR figure ...

Sounds more like the connection has been capped, most likely as a result of the intermittent noise.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 22:57:18
Print Post

What is the minimum speed that needs to be recorded to force BT into fixing this.

Well it should be on record as having sync'd so high, and have a 'fault threshold rate' set, to have a 576 profile, it must be syncing lower the the FTR at some point, so the ISP should be seeing this and raising an LTB* fault.

*Lower Threshold Breached

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 23:00:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

If it is audible then phoning BTs phone support and logging a phone line fault is the best route to take

I disagree, if the line tests OK, and when the engineer visits has quiet, then they will happily raise charges to the CP, who will more than likely pass them on to you.

The issue is with the broadband, report it as such. The engineer visits, finds and clears the fault, and can do the line a DLM reset whilst there.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Nov-13 23:53:30
Print Post

From the way you put it, the noise always goes away. What sort of time, or does it vary a lot?

What is the noise margin while the phone is noisy?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-13 10:12:06
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I respectfully disagree. If there is intermittent audible noise on the line then that can be fixed by a phone engineer and should be the first route (assuming the usual tests of plugging a phone into the test socket with nothing else connected shows the noise is still present).

Once that is fixed the broadband will likely fix itself (or just need an SNR tweak).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to