User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User akwilliams
(learned) Thu 14-Nov-13 16:50:03
Print Post

BT Complaints

[link to this post]

Got a question which i am sure someone on here has experienced before..

Ordered BT Infinity and new phone line to be installed in my new home. Booked the date, but then had to change it.

Rang BT and yep, no problem we can change it from the 29th Nov to 2nd Dec. Only to be followed by an email and text saying engineer visit would be on the 4th Dec.

Called them back, asked what was going on etc. Support guy made a big point that he would put me on hold, call Openreach and see what he could do. After being on hold for 5 mins, he came back all full of glee saying the engineer visit would now be on the 2nd Dec. I repeated it back to him and got him to confirm (you know where this going by now).

Email and txt 10 mins later - Your engineer is booked for the 4th Dec. Back on the phone, spoke to a lady this time. No way was it possible that a mistake like that could be made. Eventually lodged a formal complaint asking for the call to be listened to - I know for fact they are in the wrong, got a complaint reference numebr etc.

I am not prepared to be called a liar and said it was a big inconvenience for me as i would have to change my schedule which would cause me loss of earnings etc.

5 days down nothing heard back from BT. Called and was pretty much fobbed off saying it was being dealt with, again. I asked why i was not called back - oh we are busy they say... Fair enough, but dont tell me you will call then dont.

I have a complaint reference number which i am prepared to keep following up, but wanted to know is it worth my effort? What is the standard compensation which BT gives in a case like this ?

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Nov-13 09:28:24
Print Post

Re: BT Complaints

[re: akwilliams] [link to this post]

Don't think there would be a standard compensation template for this one.

Alarm bells went off as soon as you said a change of date needed and they said 2nd so fast, they are only able to offer appointments that Openreach can actually offer and given the delays many have it would be a surprise to see it being so quick. Given work levels Openreach seem to have a date closer to 10th-12th would be what I would expect for a next appointment.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User akwilliams
(learned) Mon 18-Nov-13 07:54:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They called me on Saturday and offered 2 months line rental FOC.

I'm happy with that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ostlerscidermill
(newbie) Fri 06-Dec-13 11:13:10
Print Post

[re: akwilliams] [link to this post]

As an online based business, we are so disappointed with the service we have receive from BT. Not only have we need charge for 2 call outs, as it was reported the problem was our fault although it wasn't! Both call outs cost £220, and the technician was with us for less than an hour each time. This seems such a high price, considering they didn't fix the problem after 2 visits!

The negative effect on our business due to BT has massive;
1. We've had to pay our office staff even though there is nothing for them to do, due the internet being down. This has been costing us money, and we haven't been able to get the work done.
2. The owner of the business missed her son's school, parent/teacher meeting as she was on the phone to BT trying to sort out the internet issues, when the school rang to arrange the meeting.
3. We spend about 3 hours a week reporting faults/issues we are having with the internet - time we could and should be using for running our business.
4. Our customers pay for a 'next day' delivery service, which we are unable to do as we don't away have internet working to be able to book in the parcels - thus effecting our customer satisfaction and repeat business.
5. Costing the owner of the business money for Netflix's she's ordered and paid for but hasn't been able to watch due to poor internet access!

Hopefully we'll get this sorted, but for the mean time it feels like we're just banging our heads against a brick wall and not getting anywhere!!

Ostlerscidermill team
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Dec-13 11:22:51
Print Post

[re: ostlerscidermill] [link to this post]

Running two connections, and/or booking the extra SLA agreements can help for business use and still be cheaper than a full spec leased line.

On the call out charges, I presume a dispute has been raised.

Many also assume buying broadband off BT means it will get fixed faster, but there are numerous smaller operators who are better at dealing with the Openreach system and help to challenge unnecessary charges.

Most BT Business Broadband is just their residential service with VAT invoicing and a couple more options.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Dec-13 13:24:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by ostlerscidermill:
As an online based business
Have you bought BT Business BB? Otherwise as a residential cust you are prohibited from 'using the service for any commercial or business purpose whatsoever unless you have BT's permission to do so'.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 06-Dec-13 19:58:27
Print Post

Assuming your in the coverage area you could try http://www.wildwestnet.co.uk, either as a replacement or as a backup/main connection.
  Print Thread

Jump to