User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thar
(experienced) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:07:22
Print Post

IP profile lowers each time modem is powered down.

[link to this post]

To clarify, before anyone says it, I know it's not a good idea to mess about with the Openreach modem, so I don't so this regularly.

I've had fibre since May. I started off with a 77.44 Mbps profile which I believe to be the highest possible.

I first powered it off in August when we went on holiday for a fortnight, I don't like leaving routers etc. on when away for so long. When we got home I powered everything back up and noticed I had lost a little off my profile,which was now 76.78 Mbps.

Now this week, I lost the connection, long story, but after following advice to reboot the modem, my connection came back up with an IP profile of 70.91 Mbps.

As far as I know, the line has been solid, even when I had the original higher profile, so why does it drop each time I have powered down the modem? Am I likely to ever get the higher profile back?

N.B. I've learnt my lesson and don't intend to power it down next time I go on holiday!

be* -> May 2013 BT Infinity 2 IP Profile 77.44 Mbps D/L 75.38 Mbps U/L 16.61 Mbps
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:16:42
Print Post

Re: IP profile lowers each time modem is powered down.

[re: thar] [link to this post]

The first drop was so small that it wasn't significant. Any reconnect will depend on line details at the time of the reconnection, and these can easily vary by that sort of amount.

The more recent loss may be because whatever caused your disconnection made DLM (digital line management) see problems, and lowered your speed to try to give a you a stable line that overcomes the problems. If that is the case, and if the underlying cause has gone away, DLM will probably let you back to the original speed or very near. It can easily take two to three weeks, but is sometimes quite quick.

It is a good idea to disconnect/reconnect (web interface) or reboot the ROUTER each morning during this period. DLM generally schedules any speed increase in the middle of the night. Sometimes the low level speed increase is not seen by the higher level exchange/router connection, and your IP profile is not increased to match the new faster sync speed; the reconnect will force an update of the IP profile to match sync speed.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Nov-13 21:22:11
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
DLM (digital line management)
I thought the acronym stood for dynamic line management.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 23-Nov-13 21:27:48
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

So do Openreach http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/produc...

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 23-Nov-13 21:58:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:

Thanks for the correction -- I'll try to remember

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 23:31:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
Hehe. Not only that, but it is of course operating on an analogue line smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 23-Nov-13 23:33:15)

Standard User thar
(experienced) Sun 24-Nov-13 10:40:27
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Just to clarify, I didn't explain very well, the connection didn't drop, BT cut me off, so instability wasn't the reason for the loss of connection.

So the profile can pick up without having to disconnect the modem, if I just try rebooting the router every so often is that correct, but it can take 2-3 weeks. I hate not being able to see the line stats like I could with ADSL.

be* -> May 2013 BT Infinity 2 IP Profile 77.44 Mbps D/L 75.38 Mbps U/L 16.61 Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 24-Nov-13 10:45:08
Print Post

[re: thar] [link to this post]

One reason your connection is getting slower could be increased takeup by your neighbours which results in increased crosstalk. This is why BT are looking at vectoring as a solution for the problem.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User thar
(experienced) Sun 24-Nov-13 13:51:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ah OK. Thanks.

Print Thread

Jump to